Monday, January 06, 2014

Hunkering Down

It is Sunday night at 11pm as I'm writing this blog post and about an hour ago we were under three severe weather warnings. Yep, one just wasn't enough.
The freezing rain warning ended, and now we're awaiting a snowfall of 15 to 25cm (6 to 10 inches) overnight. Fun times. And there is also a snow squall watch in effect. Even though the school board hasn't made any decisions as to whether the first day of school after the break is cancelled yet, I decided earlier tonight that I wasn't forcing Sam up and out of bed tomorrow morning. If school is in session, it can just continue on without him. Dave is trying to figure out if he can have a "work from home" day tomorrow rather than trying to trudge through the snow.
I'm looking forward to a day at home, drinking hot tea, folding laundry, and shoveling some (a lot of) snow before the expected windchill of -36C (practically the same in Fahrenheit!) hits later tomorrow night.

I'm pretty much over winter already. Spring, where are you???

Tomorrow my blog will be less of a weather report and more literary minded. Until then you will find me under a pile of blankets or doing my impression of The Abominable Snowman. Wish me luck :)

9 comments:

  1. So apparently we live in the same place...yet miles apart!! I hope you all get to be safe and warm today!I I think our snow has finally ended, but I read on FB that it's so cold, the sheriff's department can't even get out through the snow to their own officers. So hope there aren't big emergencies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a completely crazy weather week. It's a little comforting to know we're all in this together :)

      Delete
  2. Yikes! Hang in there--I'll be praying for safety for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! We have snow on the ground here and it's -9 F. Crazy for us! Keep warm my sweet friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, sounds like fun to me! We are expecting temps of 7 F tonight with a high of 25 F tomorrow with much lower wind chill factor. It just doesn't seem fair to experience such cold temps without the fun of snow and the possibility of staying home. Sigh. Oh and Eddie had a question I thought I would pose to you guys. So do you have to "plug your car in" to keep it from freezing up since anti-freeze doesn't work in such extreme temps? Just curious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yiiiiiiiiikes!!!! What on earth is a 'snow squall'??!?! If they didn't cancel schools...then Canadians are just insane. :) And much more committed to education than Georgians are, hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We didn't get the snow you did over here... we got ice instead. I wish I could attach pictures to this post - there was ice an inch thick covering all sidewalks this morning. I literally could have skated to class. And it was so windy that it was hard to keep your balance on the ice! I really wish they'd give out snow/ice days more generously, it was definitely not safe!

    Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather have snow than ice. That sounds awful. And yes, seriously, is it worth risking lives/injuries when the weather is so crazy???

      Delete
  7. Wow, I love seeing the snow. It's been cold here, but I don't know if we will get snow or not.
    I should re-read this post in the heat of summer...ha! : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)