Wednesday, January 08, 2014

I Made Up A Recipe!

Our church small group met on Sunday night and we were charged with bringing a salad. Since someone was already bringing raw veggies, I didn't want to bring a green salad. Dave suggested a bean salad and we were set. I did some internet searching and became inspired to make a Greek Style Bean Salad, but I didn't like any of the recipes I saw. So I made up my own.
Dave said I should call it the No Name Salad because I used mostly their products. They are cheapest at the grocery store and I'm thrifty :) I used black beans, kidney beans and chick peas, mostly because they are what we had on hand. I added about three big spoonfuls of black olives.
Next I chopped up some leftover sundried tomato we had in our fridge. If I made this again I would buy the pre-chopped ones to save some time.
Then I added an entire bunch of chopped green onions. I usually chop off most of the green stems and use the mainly white part.
Then I added a generous amount of chopped Feta. You could crumble it too. This is supposed to be easy, not exact!
I liberally sprinkled basil and oregano over the top of the salad. Then I added some amount of Greek Feta and Oregano Salad Dressing. Maybe 3/4 to 1 cup??? I didn't measure. If you like your salad well dressed add more.
I let everything marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours. I think this is the most important part. And then we took it to small group and came home with about enough for me to eat for lunch the next day. I think it was a hit.

The important thing about this salad is not to stress if you don't have the same ingredients. Use my "recipe" to inspire your own creations. Also, now I know why some of the recipes from my ancestors say to "use butter about the size of a large egg" rather than "use 1/3c of butter." I must have gotten my recipe writing skills from somewhere!!! Ha ha ha!

4 comments:

  1. YUM!!! I would totally eat this. Looks tasty!! And fibrous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy and healthy too! Have I told you I really love olives? Like almost any kind of olives. Everyone at the table knows that if they get a salad with olives, they better give them to me if they aren't going to eat them. Haha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)