Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Dear John Gym

Dear Gym,

I don't want to beat around the bush so I'm just going to say it straight. I am breaking up with you today. I know this is a bit of a shock but you have to admit, there were signs. I haven't been as committed to you lately and it's time to just make a clean break.

You were really important to me at a time in my life when I felt so housebound with my two young kids. It was hard to get enough exercise with them and you gave me a place to go, move, and take some time for myself. You reacquainted me with some old favourites (like Step classes and the stairstepper) and introduced me to some new loves (Sh'Bam and the cross trainer). I will always thank you for that.

But I realized yesterday that it's time to let you go. I don't need you anymore. I am no longer housebound. I am walking Sam to school and that's twenty minutes, twice a day, usually dragging Rachel along. I pulled out my bike last Fall and, although it's currently parked for Winter, Spring is on its way. I'm excited to keep our car parked as much as possible while I sail along as the kids are laughing behind me in the bike trailer.

Another thing I really don't like about our relationship is that I don't normally waste money and I've been giving it to you for months without a second thought. It's time for that to stop. I can get workout videos for free from the library, and if times get really desperate I can buy a no-expiry, ten visit pass to the pool and do AquaFit.

So instead of leaving my family to go spend time with you, I'm going to take my family with me as I continue to get healthy. And I don't need you for that. So thank you for being there for that time when I really needed you. But it's time for this to end.

Fondly,
Natasha

10 comments:

  1. Awwww....the gym is so sad not to get your free money any more!!! ;) Way to make a decision and get back your cash, though! Now you can buy more makeup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Gym!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand this letter as my husband and I made this decision to break up with our gym many years ago before we even had kids because the cost just wasn't worth it. After a long day at work for both of us, we just couldn't keep up with making the trek to the gym every night. Back then, we invested in a well-priced (on sale) elliptical machine and started working out at home mostly. Even before kids, it was just too much for us to coordinate times for working out except for late at night or early in the morning so working out at home was the best plan for us. Later after we moved to Charlotte into the house we are in now, we purchased a decent and well-priced weightlifting home gym, and it really provides everything we need to do a good workout in our house. Unfortunately, my being in law school at night and being pregnant with two kids over the last few years has not allowed me to keep up a good workout routine, but I have been attempting to get back on a good schedule since the first of the year. I am just trying to concentrate on a healthier lifestyle all around and not just "weight loss." Yes, I know I need to blog about my new healthy goals for the new year to motivate myself, but I have entered another blogging funk since the holidays and have taken a little break from blogging. I'll definitely be back though! I am glad January is turning out to be a slower month so far. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness! I totally understand. I've been working out at night after my kiddos go to bed. I really want to start biking too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and Mr. Gym, please don't drink too much and send me flirty texts...it is over. he he : ) sucker!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!!! I mean the wording! I guess I probably should not be giddy over the content! {I say to you as I read your blog on the couch when I'm supposed to be on the track Ha!!!!!!!}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha!!! I support you in your couch sitting, blog reading ways :)

      Delete
  7. There you go! I'm trying out an exercise class soon, but I suspect the gym is just not an option at this season of life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have FREE access to the school gym and I still don't even want to go! haha. I love, love, LOVE being active, but I hate working out. I could play sports for hours on end - but getting on a treadmill or bike? No thanks!

    I do have a membership to a climbing gym though, but it's a fun workout so I go often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had free access to the gym! And a climbing gym sounds like fun. I really need to go check one out.

      Delete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)