Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Book Review: The Welcome Committee Of Butternut Creek


image from here
 
This is another book I randomly picked up at the library solely because the cover caught my eye. And the title. I love a good title.

It is the story of Adam Jordan, a first time pastor, and the community of Butternut Creek. Miss Birdie, a long time church member, also known as "the pillar," has definite ideas of how the church should be run and how Adam should be molded into a fine pastor. Adam has other ideas. The tension between Adam and Miss Birdie comes to a head in a most amusing way. The author, Jane Myers Perrine, also introduces some of the other people in Butternut Creek, both church attenders and not.

I have to say, this book drew me in. I want to live in Butternut Creek, or at least spend a summer there. The people there have real problems and this story is about how they live with them, and each other. I love books about good communities and, Butternut Creek, for all its faults, seems like a good community.

My favourite lines in the book came almost at the end. "The place pulled at him like a huge electromagnet, and he possessed the resistance of a poached egg. Stupid analogy. Eggs aren't attracted to magnets, but the rest fit pretty well." (p 352). This quote still makes me laugh out loud :)

This book is the first in a series and reminds me a lot of the the Mitford series by Jan Karon. It is a good book to pick up for some light reading, but if you're anything like me you'll want to make sure you have the second book near at hand.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a cute story about real everyday life and everyday people and problems. I love stories that remind me that everyone I see actually has a story that could quite possibly make an interesting book. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)