Friday, December 29, 2023

What's Up Wednesday (On A Friday): December 2023

Even though the hosts never publish a December "What's Up Wednesday" anymore, I do love this way of recapping the month, as you can tell because I'm late in responding to these questions but still posting it. This will be very much a Christmas/Saskatchewan focused recap, as opposed to a December recap, because even though we've only been here for a week (thus far), I feel like the rest of what happened in December took place ages ago!!!

The questions for this post come from Shay at Mix and Match Mama and Sheaffer at Sheaffer Told Me Too.

image from here
 
What we're eating this week... We've been eating all the delicious food we associate with Saskatchewan -- sausage and warenky, carrot pickles, exciting cheeses, Greek salad, jamjams, and many other things.
And of course, I have a new favourite drink which my dad has made -- a Yule Mule -- a Moscow Mule with the addition of strawberry juice.

What I'm reminiscing about... My cousin and her family, including my aunt, came to spend a few days with us in Saskatchewan. These are cousins we spent a lot of time with when we lived in Alberta, so I've been reminiscing about previous times with them. I've also been reminiscing about family Christmases with cousins from when I was younger.
Sam and Rachel with their second cousins in Alberta in 2016
Recreating the above photo this past week!
 
What I'm loving... Well, much like the rest of Canada, we've been experiencing unprecedented warmth in Saskatchewan this week, so I've been hanging our laundry outside. The rest of my family (including my mom!!!) has been making fun of me for doing it, but it brings me much joy so I don't care! Hahaha!!!

What we've been up to... Before we flew to Saskatchewan, I was in search of all the light displays.
Jingle Bell Rock, near our house
The Old Post Office, Cambridge

Seeing Wonders of Winter with Tim, Janice, and family, as a part of our Christmas celebrations with them

Since we've gotten to Saskatchewan, it's been all about relaxing and celebrating!

Rachel and I enjoyed festive hot chocolate in front of the tree. 

 

We celebrated Jólabókaflóð on Christmas Eve and had prosecco as well!

Our annual Christmas morning family photo in front of the tree.

Thirteen people for turkey dinner on December 26th!  

What I'm dreading... Right now I'm not dreading anything and it's a great place to be!!!
 
What I'm working on... I'm working on getting out for a walk every day. Since it's been so beautiful, we've gone for a walk on the property of the tree farm which my dad used to own with his brothers. My uncle and cousin own it now, and my parents live really close to it so we've been going there every day to walk. I love walking along the rows of trees!
What I'm excited about... I'm excited about being with my parents! And honestly, I get pretty excited about Happy Hour every day! Hahaha!!! My mom makes an amazing sour cherry liqueur and once the alcohol is drained off, we've been pitting the cherries and making a sauce for waffles or milkshakes. It's soooo good! And as I said above, I'm loving my Yule Mules with strawberry juice!
What I'm watching/reading... I'd only seen it once before so I really wanted to watch "White Christmas" this season. We watched it on Christmas Day and I realized. it's the original Hallmark movie -- the couples fall in love quickly, it takes place (mostly) in a quaint inn in Vermont, and they're trying to save the inn. How does this not sound like a Hallmark plot?!?!?!?
My Jólabókaflóð book was Iron Flame and now I'm wondering when book 3 is coming out. Like, what happened at the end there?!?!??!!??
  
What I'm listening to... Well, since all the family left, I've been enjoying the silence! Of course, we have another family gathering tonight, so it will get loud again, but I'm enjoying the silence while it lasts. Of course, I also love listening to my extended family laughing, talking, playing games, and enjoying being together.

What I'm wearing... Bring on all the comfy clothes. Sweatshirts, fuzzy pajama pants -- this is my outfit of choice these days! What is very odd is what I'm not wearing -- it's been hovering above freezing so I'm not bundled up like I'm used to being in Saskatchewan at Christmas.

What I'm doing this weekend... Reading, doing puzzles, celebrating Happy Hour, and possibly going to an art gallery. And soaking up all the relaxing and holiday vibes.

What I'm looking forward to next month... January brings some exciting things -- tulips (of course!), our church's Winter Retreat, finding another light display, and Dave's birthday. I'm looking forward to all of it!

What I bought on Amazon... We bought something on Amazon two months in a row. Who even are we? This time it was Sam's annual ornament as we couldn't find what we were looking for in stores.

 

So that's it -- the last What's Up Wednesday post of the year. It's been a fun month of celebrating the holidays and enjoying lots of family togetherness.

3 comments:

  1. What an awesome Christmas! LOVE your T Swift Jammies too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO MUCH good stuff in here! I don't even know what to comment on - love all the pics with your parents and how evident your happiness to be with them was! Brent and I watch White Christmas every year. Love the throwback pic of Sam/Rach with their 2nd cousins and the recreation. :) I am READY to talk Iron Flame! Love the Swiftie jammies!! Merry Christmas friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)