Monday, December 11, 2023

Not Just A Mom: Favourite Books/Series

Today the Not Just A Mom bloggers are talking about favourite books/series. As you all know, I read a lot of books and have quite a few favourites! However, somewhat like with my children, I can't just pick one favourite. As I tell my kids, it depends on the day!!! Anyways, today I'm linking up with SarahDaraJoanneAdrienneLauren, and Jen to talk about all things books. (Click on each name to go their blogs.)


No one who has read my blog for any length of time will be shocked that one of my favourite series is JD Robb's In Death series. I read my first In Death book in the summer of 2006 and since then I have read the whole series so many times. At certain points in my life (after Rachel was born, during Covid, etc) it was all I could read. It is not high literature but it just is one of those series I read for pure enjoyment.

  

Another series I love is the Well Met series by Jen DeLuca. Sometimes an author writes a first book and it is amazing and then the wheels fall off and I don't like the rest of their books. With Well Met, a series of romances based around renaissance fairs, I feel like the books just keep getting better and better.

 

Two series which I've just started reading, and which have begun well, are The Inheritance Games and Fourth Wing. If you like fantasy, read Fourth Wing and if you like puzzles, read The Inheritance Games.

 

An author whom I consistently enjoy is Fiona Davis. She doesn't write series but she takes buildings in New York City and then writes dual timeline stories. One is usually set in the present and the other one is set in the past. The two stories usually intersect and I just love reading her books. Some of my particular favourites are The Address, The Lions of Fifth Avenue, and The Spectacular. However, all of her books are really interesting.

Another thing I really enjoy is non-fiction which makes me think. Some of the books I've read which I still think about are below. If you have a good non-fiction pick, let me know!

  

There are two books which I read in 2023 which I still think about because they were so good. The first is Mad Honey by Jodi Picoult. I have recommended this book to so many people because it was so powerful. The second book is As Long As The Lemon Trees Grow. This story of the Syrian war is one I wish I had read earlier. I haven't heard of many people who have read it, so if you haven't had a chance to discover it yet, please pick it up.

 

Lastly, I am going to end with my favourite genre -- a genre which doesn't actually exist, but should! If you know of a book where "a grumpy old person forms community around themselves" like A Man Called Ove, let me know, because I will absolutely read that book. Recently, The Lonely Hearts Book Club is one I've read which I would categorize in this genre.

 

So those are some of my faovurite reads. As always with reading posts, I've gone all over the place and digressed from the original topic quite a bit :) What can I say? This is how I read, and how I discuss reading -- it's eclectic and all over the place!

8 comments:

  1. I'm 1/2 way through the latest In Death book right now; I too just love that series! I tend to be pretty eclectic with my reading too. Though I should read more non-fiction since that is one area I seem to slack off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my favorite genre too! I have to read The Lonely Hearts Book Club because I have it and haven't read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I have such similar tastes in books! I have Iron Flame to binge over school break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will add your 2023 books to my list

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really should read more! This list sounds great and the Well Met series sounds like something I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

  6. the Jen DeLuca series looks different and fun! I had The Lions of Fifth Avenue on my TBR list for awhile and kind of forgot about it, at least until I saw it on your favorites list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of these books. I really should read more as some of these have peaked my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Gma told me about the Fiona Davis books, and I've enjoyed the couple that I've read.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)