Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Currently: December 2023

Well, it feels like we're well into December but it's only the first Wednesday of the month. That means it's time for "Currently" with Jennifer at Overflowing With Thankfulness. You can find Jennifer here. This is very clearly a "we're getting ready for the holidays" version of "Currently" as you will see below.

[loving]

I am "loving" the smells at this time of year. I started the Christmas potpourri going on Saturday and it will simmer on our stove all season long. And then, we often have a pot of cranberry tea going as well. I got this recipe from my friend, Allena, and it's become a favourite drink of ours in December. Give me all the cranberry and cinnamon and I am happy!

[gifting]

We tried to cut down on gifts this year so each kid is getting new skates for Channukah and then something they really want as a "pre-Christmas gift." Rachel wanted a dance jacket from her studio but we told her it was too expensive. (And then we ordered her one anyways!). Sam is getting some accessories for his Switch. Thus, we're not "gifting" all that much this year.

[wrapping]

Since we're travelling over Christmas, we're actually giving the kids their gifts ahead of time -- although we haven't figured out exactly when yet. However, I don't know that we're actually "wrapping" them. And if we are, Dave will be doing it because I hate wrapping.

As for Channukah, it's very hard to wrap skates (and we take the kids out for the annual skate shopping trip so it doesn't make sense to wrap them) and then they're only getting books as additional Channukah gifts, and again, we likely won't wrap them.

skate shopping and Starbucks and skating in previous years

[hoping]

Do I sound like a stuck record if I say I'm "hoping" our Christmas flights are not cancelled this year? We have so many fun plans, and relaxing days, to look forward to if only our flights aren't cancelled.

I'm also "hoping" that we can make some Channukah cookies and latkes this weekend. Otherwise, I don't know when that will happen!

[attending]

Well, tomorrow night we're "attending" Rachel's holiday showing for dance. For a week in December, her dance studio does little stories each night and every dance class does a little dance which helps tell the story. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Rachel dance with the class where she is an assistant teacher! I think it will be fun to see her in her volunteer role.

Additionally, this weekend, Rachel, Dave, and I are "attending" Jingle Bell Rock which is a super fun, local light show in our area. We went to it last year and had so much fun but Sam wanted to skip it this year. So the rest of us are going while he's "attending" a Youth event. Come back next week sometime to read all about our evening.

 

Left: Rachel's holiday showing a few years ago; Right: Jingle Bell Rock selfie last year

So that's what's up with us "currently." I hope your December is off to a great start and that you are "currently" able to enjoy the season in the way which is most meaningful to you -- celebrating with friends and family, curled up with a warm drink and your favourite holiday movie, or indulging in your favourite holiday treats.

Happy December everyone!!!

9 comments:

  1. Everything is so festive- I still need to try your potpourri recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping the same thing about flights. Last year was a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're hoping the same thing about our flights in January; that's one thing I really hate about winter travel. I hope all goes well with your flights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear how shocked Rachel is!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the flights don't get cancelled. That would be awful! I love the sound of the Christmas stovetop potpourri. Mmmmm...Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping for no flight cancelations for y'all too! And I love how we traded recipes ha - cranberry tea and Christmas potpourri - a match made in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh ice... when I saw skates, I was excited the kids were roller skating LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping and praying with you that your flights go as planned and you can enjoy all the holiday things without delays or worries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lot of holiday fun on your calendar...and I do hope all goes smoothly with your travels!! Holiday travel can be so stressful - much like wrapping. Ha. I'm another hater of that task:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)