Thursday, December 28, 2023

Monthly Musings: Ringing In The New Year

Even though I'm late, I love linking up with with Holly at Pink Lady and Patty at Good, Better, Best for their "Monthly Musings." Now that we're through Christmas, it's time to start thinking about the New Year.

1) How do you ring in the New Year?

When we're in Saskatchewan, as we are this year, we are often reading in the evening and debating among ourselves if we're staying up until midnight or not. Sometimes we make it, sometimes we don't!

2) Any special New Year's Eve or New Year's Day traditions?

I love having mimosas on New Year's Day! I don't remember when, or why, this tradition started, but it's a fun way to kick off the New Year. 

New Year's Day mimosas, 2023

3) Favourite New Year's Eve memories?

My favourite New Year's memories are of the huge parties we used to have when I was a kid. It was a group of family friends and sometimes the parties would last for a couple of days. I just remember running all over the house with my friends and having a GREAT time!

4) Show us some New Year's Eve outfits. We need inspiration.

I have nothing to offer. I'll likely be wearing pajamas by 6pm!

My new sweatshirt and my fuzzy owl pajama pants are the perfect New Year's outfit! 

5) What are you most looking forward to in 2024?

After waiting for almost two years, I may have some really great job news in February. Maybe. Other than that, I am just looking forward to good family time and wherever our adventures take us.

6) Asleep by 10pm or ring in the New Year?

If by "ring in the New Year" you mean "reading a book by the fire" then it will be that one. However, I may be asleep by 10pm this year. We shall see...

7) Do you have a word or goals for 2024?

Better dental hygiene. I need to start flossing and using my electric toothbrush regularly.

8) Best self care tips to share in the New Year?

Do what makes you happy. For me, it's reading, getting outside for a walk, hanging my laundry on the line, and filling my house with flowers. For you, it's going to look different, but I would say, do what makes you happy and don't apologize for it.

9) Paper planner? Electronic planner? None? Share your favourite brands or apps please.

Every year for the past few years, I've bought a paper planner, and then, I feel guilty because I don't use it. So this year, I'm not buying one. What works for me is keeping our family calendar updated monthly (we have a whiteboard calendar in our main hallway), and writing weekend "to do" lists on paper. Use the organization method which works for you. This is what works for me.

 
Our whiteboard family calendar. Each person has a different colour.

10) Black-eyed peas on New Year's Day - yea or nay?

We used to make South Georgia caviar around this time of year. I haven't done that for a few years now but maybe I'll mix up a batch of it when we get home.

 
So that is how we "ring in the New Year." It's pretty low key, which could be another phrase for "2024." I think it's going to be a "low key" year -- no big plans, no big changes, just chugging along, and making memories.
 
Happy New Year everyone!!!

6 comments:

  1. Crossing my fingers for you on the job front and hope that you are offered something that truly works for you. I am never opposed to a low key New Years. Thanks for joining us and see you in 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mimosa tradition for New Years Day and may just add that to our big brunch plan. Hoping you get the great job news that you're hoping for, and that you have a very happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimosas sound like a great way to ring in the new year! Best of luck on the job front. And I just LOVE your NYE outfit... I tend to wear the same types of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that advice - do what makes you happy and don't apologize for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed for awesome job news AND love your T Swift PJ's :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tradition of mimosas for the New Year. We don't really have any NYE/Day traditions, except our old Sunday School class gets together for NYE. However, we don't always go do that, because we're so over being social. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)