Wednesday, January 03, 2024

Currently: January 2024

Hello 2024! It feels only appropriate that I kick off another year of blogging with a "Currently" post. Today we're flying home after our amazing Christmas holiday in Saskatchewan so I'm "currently" in a liminal space -- not quite on holidays anymore but not quite home either. Anyways, I promise I won't always be so introspective in 2024 -- that just appears to be my current mood :) So on to the link up with Jennifer at Overflowing With Thankfulness. You can find Jennifer here.

[loving]

I have been "loving" our Christmas break -- so much time to be with family, so much time to relax, so much time to read, so much time to just ...be. It's been amazing and I'm so sad it's over, while also simultaneously feeling ready get back to regular life.

New Years Day mimosas, 2024

[resolving]

I am "resolving" to have better dental hygiene this year. I want to use my electric toothbrush more regularly and floss. I am so bad at both of these. If I end 2024 as a better flosser, my goals will be met!

[looking forward to]

For the first time in many years, we are going to our church's winter retreat in a few weekends. Even though we don't have a lot of wintry weather right now, I am "looking forward to" getting away and spending some time reconnecting with my church family.

Walking to Lake Huron, the last time we attended the Winter Retreat in 2018. After that we had other plans for a few years, and then it was cancelled for a few years, thanks to Covid.
 
And those of you who have been regular readers, know that, of course, I'm "looking forward to" my January tulips!!! I'm getting some from the grocery store today (I hope!) and I can't wait!!!
January tulips, 2023

[doing to stay cozy this winter]

I'm going to be wearing slippers and drinking tea and wearing sweatshirts and reading under blankets. Speaking of slippers, I need to buy some new ones so that will be on my list for the next few weeks. I love cozy slippers.

The other thing I started last year, is that I leave my white twinkle lights up all year round on our living room window. When I wake up in the morning, I plug those in, instead of turning on a bright light, and it's a beautiful, slow way to wake up while drinking my coffee-hot chocolate.

Morning views with twinkle lights

[cooking]

After a week and a half of eating my mom and dad's amazing "cooking," now I need to figure out meals again. Boo :( We made a menu plan a couple of days ago and it's going to include pasta casseroles, soups, and stews with hearty winter vegetables like rutabagas.

So that's where I'm at "currently." It's been an amazing week and a half of break and I'm going to take the next few days to soak a little more holiday magic -- I want to do one last Christmas puzzle, make one last batch of cookies to eat, and smell my holiday potpourri for a few more days. But then I will fully embrace those cozy January vibes -- watching some movies with my family, getting out for some skating (if it gets cold enough) or walks (if it doesn't), and of course, enjoying all the January tulips!

13 comments:

  1. Ok can't wait for ALL of the tulips- they always remind me of you- I will try to find some too! Good luck with your meal planning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like an amazing trip- I could handle not cooking for a week and a half, lol! I mean, time with family, especially people you don´t get to see often is amazing- throw in not cooking while spending time with said people- I´m in!! Safe travels home and enjoy getting back into the routine of regular life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had such a lovely Christmas with your family! It's always a bit hard to get back to reality after some time off from everything. Thanks for linking up with me today! I hope you have a wonderful day and rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home! :) Your January sounds beautiful and cozy! ENJOY! - Bekah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cozy slippers! Glad you had a nice break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your holidays sound lovely. White twinkle lights always make a room cozy. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for tulips!! So glad to hear your attending your church retreat. We used to do that and always really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the gorgeous tulips! Better dental hygiene is always a good thing - I never floss and I really should.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had an amazing time with your family over Christmas. I'm like you and sad that it's over (it sure went by so fast!!)Enjoy the next few days soaking up the last bit of the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you had a really wonderful holiday break with the family! I do really well with brushing my teeth but I am awful with remembering to floss too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely hard on the re-entry, I like the idea of doing one more batch of cookies and one more puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have fun on the winter retreat! Sounds like fun...if not a bit cold!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had such a great break over the holidays and could spend that time with family! The winter retreat sounds like fun, and I'm looking forward to your winter tulips too! haha Tulips are some of my favorite flowers. Have a cozy and happy January!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)