Thursday, February 23, 2023

Monthly Musings: Warm Weather Destinations

It's time for another Monthly Musings with Holly at Pink Lady and Patty at Good, Better, Best. I am sooooo ready for some warmer weather so these questions are perfect!

  

1) Favourite warm weather destinations


I really love heading somewhere warm in the midst of winter. We've been to Mexico and on a couple of Disney Cruises in January-February. I would say that our day on Aruba stands out as a highlight and I would love to spend more time there.

2) Packing cubes: yes or no?

I really think I need to donate my packing cubes. Either that or I should watch some YouTube videos on how to use them well. I just don't understand the appeal. Sorry :(

3) Favourite carry on?

I am so sad because my favourite carry on was my LL Bean personalized bag but the handles finally wore out on our Europe trip this past summer. I now have another one which is similar but I need to get used to it. My carry on drives Dave nuts because it doesn't have a zipper and he's constantly worried something is going to fall out of it. However, I haven't lost anything yet!

4) Essential items in your suitcase?

For a warm weather destination, essential items are my camera, a swimsuit, my sun hat, my denim shorts, and my favourite t-shirts. Also, a nice skirt to wear with a t-shirt for a dressier occasion and a statement necklace for some added bling.

5) Excursions? Yes or no? Share your favourites.

Since we haven't done a lot of resort stays, I don't have many favourite excursions. However, my favourite Disney Cruise excursions have been ones where there is some learning, and potentially a game involved. Our family loves "Amazing Race" type events so anything that has overtones of that, we find really fun.

We also only tend to do excursions if there is something we really want to see and figuring out transportation on our own is complicated. We really like to explore on our own as much as possible. 

6) Most random item you always pack?

 Ummmm... I don't know... Indoor footwear?!? I HATE being barefoot so I have a pair of indoor flipflops I wear all the time in summer so yes, I took them on our cruise to wear in our stateroom and I wear them in hotel rooms as well. Is that random enough?!?

7) Do you use a travel agent?

 

The only time I've ever used a travel agent is when my dad and I took the Trans-Siberian Railway from Beijing, China to Moscow, Russia through Mongolia, with a side trip to the Ukraine. That trip was so complicated, with three different country visas required, that my dad and I did not want to be figuring out all the details on our own.

Now we have gone on some extended family trips where a travel agent likely booked them but those were trips we were taken on, not trips we booked. I am usually the travel agent when it comes to booking our trips. Figuring out all the details is a fun part of the travel process for me.

And I guess technically, the Disney Cruise company books our cruises, but I am the one who calls them and waits on hold and then figures everything else about the cruise -- excursions, transportation to and from, etc.


8) Favourite sunscreen?

I don't have a favourite sunscreen. Basically anything that offers really good protection, I guess. I bought some off a co-worker before the winter break and we'll take it on our March Break trip -- it's a spray on one so we'll see if I like it.

9) Favourite flip flops or sandals?

While I have my indoor flip flops, I don't really wear them otherwise. The last few years I've been loving my Sketchers (or fake Sketchers, as the case may be) which I wear without socks. I also really like my Toms. So yeah, I don't tend to wear flip flops or sandals.

10) Favourite swimsuit?

Well, the swimsuit I have now is not my favourite swimsuit. My favourite swimsuit in recent years was probably the tankini I'm wearing in the picture below which I bought at Target. It had black boy short bottoms and then a really pretty blue top. Sadly, this swimsuit got too stretched out a few years ago. I would love to find a swimsuit I really love but until then, I will just make do with whatever I find.


Thinking about warm weather destinations makes me extra excited for our March Break trip which, while not necessarily a "warm weather" destination, is at least warmer than where we are right now! Hopefully, we'll even be able to have a beach day while we're away.

12 comments:

  1. LOVE that picture of you and Sam- hope you have that blown up somewhere AND that tankini is adorable! Loved reading about your travel adventures too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like to have flip-flops or slipper socks for a hotel room so you are not alone there! Your China/Russia trip sounds amazing and definitely one that would require a travel agent.

    Thanks for joining us!
    Patty
    Goodbetterbestfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used packing cubes on my last few trips. I just put bottoms in one, tops in one, etc. It kinda kept things organized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That trip to Asia does sound like it would need some expert advice and I bet was a memorable trip. Sounds like you have done a lot of fun traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same, I love planning trips too! Any trip for March Break is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're in the market for the best swim suit bottoms - I buy the "magic bottoms" from Nettles Tales. They are seriously magical with their fit. Great quality! I do a lot of swimming and each pair has lasted me about 2 years with heavy use. I just buy them in black and then I can buy any tops I want from anywhere to go with them. Highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that picture of you on the camel. You've gone to some amazing places!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH I can't go barefoot in the hotel/house rental/ etc. either! Funny enough the few times we've used a travel agent I've planned the whole thing out ahead of time-- then call and have her book what I've planned. LOL. One time though she did call me with a fabulous can't beat flight deal if we just moved our trip by 2 days-- so we did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the same about not going barefoot in a hotel room and I wear my flip flops. I love the photo of you on the camel. I hope you have a nice weekend Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with you on the packing cubes! That trans-Siberian trip sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Family vacation photos are some of the best!! Love you on that camel....and that trip with your dad sounds (yes complicated) but amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know why, but I miss doing this post every month. I may try to go do this post late. Loved reading yours

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)