Friday, February 17, 2023

Halfway Through February And What I've Read

I've been quiet on the blog this week because I've been sick with a really bad cold. I've taken two Covid tests and they were both negative so this was just a chills-and-fevers, loss-of-appetite, runny nose, and headache "regular" kind of cold. I've taken three sick days this week and spent most of the time in bed. Gah. I'm finishing this post on Thursday afternoon and hoping I'm well enough to go in to work on Friday -- just in time for a long weekend. Ha! But honestly, it would be nice to interact with the outside world again. Until I have more exciting things to blog about, here's my "partway through February" book review.

I didn't get as much reading done as I normally would in the first half of February because one book took me a looooong time to read.

This was my book club book. I read it in one sitting because I had to know how it ended. However, I didn't love it, mostly because the thought of climate change, and how we're killing our earth (and thus, us), kept me awake most of the night. So this, all too real possibility of a book, just gave me a lot of anxiety. But if you are interested in that sort of thing (what happens if a Category 6 hurricane takes out Miami and Houston and what does that do to the rest of the US?), then you should read this book.

Again, this series isn't the most amazing series ever written but I am wholly invested in the characters and can't wait to see how it all wraps up.

This book was really interesting but it took me a long time to read it. This book is the reason I only read six books in the first half of February. While the main focus was on the two women's race around the world, the author also went down some very interesting rabbit holes like the power of the railroads, the history of time keeping in the US, what it was like to work on a steamship, and many other topics which I found fascinating.


This was a book about the 1906 earthquake in San Francisco, told from the point of view of a teen girl who lived in Chinatown. It addressed the racism she had to face as well as the story of trying to find hope in the aftermath of the earthquake. I enjoyed this story.

This was a quick read to finish up the Cedar Cove series. This is a series I could see myself reaching for when I need some comfort reading. It wasn't earth shattering but just a lovely, fun, sweet read.

This book made me want to go back to the Frick Museum (I've only been once in the early 90s). I love how Fiona Davis writes about historical buildings in New York City. Her books draw me in and I really enjoy the two timelines. There are a few of her books I haven't read and I'm putting them on my list because I know they'll be good.

So that was what I read the first half of February. Since I've been sick, all I've had the energy for is to sleep and read so I've already read 5 books since Monday but you'll have to wait a couple of weeks to hear about those :)

7 comments:

  1. I am interested in The Displacements. I have another book by him that I haven't read though! I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all interesting sounding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read "The Address" by Fiona Davis and really liked it. I had no idea she had so many others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I think the Displacements would leave me very unsettled too. Outrun the Moon sounds really good! I have enjoyed a few books here and there from the Cedar Cove series but I never really made it around to reading them all (in order!) like I wanted to. Hope you're feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh great suggestions here- thank you! You always rock reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you've been sick. Hope that you get better soon. Lots of nasty colds going on over here too now that everyone is out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In putting together the consideration list for my online book club to vote from for our March read, I looked at The Magnolia Palace. But I think it hadn't received tremendous reviews. I should have gone with my gut and put it on the list anyway. Glad to know you liked it. And that cover art is dreamy. Will save it for April.

    Is the 80 Days book a children's book? Off to check it out. Looks very good and the book about the San Francisco earthquake looks interesting, too. Pinning them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)