Wednesday, January 25, 2023

What's Up Wednesday: January 2023

Ummm... HOW are we already at the last Wednesday in January?!?!? That is CRAZY to me! While the weeks of work have gone way too slowly, this month in general has gone very quickly!

As always on the last Wednesday of the month, I'm linking up with Shay at Mix and Match Mama and Sheaffer at Sheaffer Told Me Too for this post.

image from here
 
What we're eating this week... Soup. I've been eating a lot of soup. The grey January days make me want a warm bowl of soup so I've enjoyed cream of carrot-cheddar soup and my favourite chickpea-kale soup.

What I'm reminiscing about... I'm reminiscing about all the winter fun we had this past weekend on our getaway. I will likely start blogging about it next week but we had the BEST time. We walked goats, skated in a forest, went downhill skiing, snowshoed, and discovered kick sledding. It was so much fun and we already hope we can repeat it next year!
 
 
What I'm loving... My January tulips. They just make my days so much brighter and bring me so much joy this time of year :)

What we've been up to... Well, besides our weekend getaway, we've just been trying to get back into routine after our Winter Break. Yeah, we're still not settled into a good routine of planning and getting to all our activities. Rachel was sick for a few days and Dave had a birthday and Sam got springs on his braces and that just threw all of us off. Hopefully, in the next week or so, we'll get our acts together and have actual meal plans and stop running to the grocery store every other day and get our family calendar done, but until then, we've been flying by the seat of our pants around here.
Celebrating Dave's birthday last week.

What I'm dreading... We're supposed to get up to 20cm (about 8") of snow over the next day. I don't think it will be enough all at once to cancel anything so I'm dreading navigating our ways to work and our evening activities while trying to stay on top of shovelling that much snow. Ugh. Don't get me wrong -- snow can be really beautiful (if you can enjoy it from inside, under a warm blanket) but it is a heck of a lot of work too.
 
What I'm working on... My blog friend, Bekah, wrote a post about "flourishing in the frozen" which was about embracing the good things about winter. You can read it here. That is what I am working on -- enjoying this season (which is absolutely not my favourite) and trying to find the fun, the joy, the cozy, trying to flourish despite the fact that I really, truly, strongly, dislike winter.

Also, I'm trying to work on finding more consistent times to get together with my best friend, Janice. Fall was insane and we went way too long without seeing each other. We're trying to get together weekly to walk and it's good for my body and excellent for my soul.
 
 
What I'm excited about... Rachel and I have hair appointments booked for Tuesday! Whooo hoooo! I'm getting highlights and Rachel is getting... less conventional... colour :) Dave and Sam have haircuts booked for this week so I'm excited that, by next week at this time, we'll all be looking much better! Hahaha!

I'm also excited about the fact that Sam is spending time on the Disney Cruise website in his free time and finding cruises for us to take! We're not planning on booking anything any time soon but I love the fact that he has ideas for future vacations and is doing the research on his own to check them out. (Is it weird that I find this exciting?!?!?)
 
What I'm watching/reading... Well, here's where you find out just how exciting I am since I've mostly been watching the weather. January has been crazy with warmer than usual temperatures, freezing rain warnings, and now a snowfall warning. Can we just have some regular winter weather please?

As for reading, I'm so excited that I've been reading a wider variety of books lately. You can see what I read the first half of January here. Since that post, I've finished three more books and am halfway through a fourth one. I'm so happy my reading has normalized a little.
 
What I'm listening to... I'm writing this post from bed and I'm listening to our shower nozzle LOUDLY drain on the other side of the wall. It's rather annoying and probably needs to be fixed as it hasn't always been this loud.

Earlier today Sam was speaking in a British accent for no reason so I was also listening to that. Kids are weird, I tell you.
 
What I'm wearing... I've really been enjoying wearing the new shirt and sweater my parents got me for Christmas. I especially love the warmth of the sweater.
 
What I'm doing this weekend... Not a whole heck of a lot. We've had a couple of busy weekends and I'm looking forward to a quieter weekend of getting things done, including possibly doing a puzzle and painting my toenails. It's going to be super-exciting around here people :)
 
What I'm looking forward to next month... Blah. February. I've been thinking about this prompt for three days and I just can't think of anything I'm looking forward to in February. It's just going to be a regular, boring month with nothing at all exciting happening. Maybe I should look forward to embracing the routine and the coziness of the month...

What else is new... I think that's about it. It's just the same old, same old over here -- just with a lot of tulips!

I hope you all are having a great week. Please share something about February that I should be excited about :) I clearly need some help getting into a more positive frame of mind...

8 comments:

  1. Oh I can't wait to read about your amazing weekend- I LOVED the pics of you skating in the woods- that looked so fun and I am now wondering if there is anywhere around here to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing much happens in February, but you can always look up little holidays to celebrate or make a big deal out of Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel exactly the same way you do about winter and already I’m not looking forward to it when it’s our turn. Your soups look so delicious! And the tulips are so colourful and pretty. It’s so nice that you can enjoy them during the bleak winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the snow and send us some!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh I hear you on the snow; I love how pretty it looks but I really hate dealing with it. I'm so thankful that we haven't had much of anything this year but keep bracing myself for the inevitable. That weekend getaway sounds like it was so fun. I've got chicken/ orzo soup cooking for our dinner right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you said you were dreading the snow and I said it was the thing I was excited about! I know it's a lot of work, but really it's such a short part of the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely need your Huntsville activity review in a timely manner so I can better plan out my weekend there in a few weeks! Glad you enjoyed yourselves... and managed to find some joy in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope dealing with the snow won't be too troublesome - I know what you mean! I love how pretty fresh snow is, but it can be such a pain when you have to shovel it and drive in it and all of that. Your tulips are spectacular, and now I know what kind of flowers I need for my dining room now that the poinsettias are done. (And tulips are one of my favorites anyway)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)