Thursday, January 26, 2023

Monthly Musings: Beating The Winter Blues

Winter at our house

I'm so glad that Holly at Pink Lady and Patty at Good, Better, Best are continuing Monthly Musings for 2023. This is such a fun link up! Join in and answer the questions below because the more people discussing this topic, the better. I'm really struggling with winter right now. It's been grey and our weather has been yo-yoing and there is nothing fun (in my mind) going on from now until mid-March. Ugh.

And I should clarify that "winter" in our area usually means a lot of snow, a lot of grey, a few big storms a year (we're predicted to have 20cm (8 inches) of snow in 24 hours by this morning), a lot of shoveling, and cold-ish temperatures (normally minus 10 to minus 20C (14 to minus 4F)). This winter has been unusual in that I feel like it hasn't really "hit" yet, other than a couple of storms.

1) Something you do for yourself to beat the winter blues?

Well, if you've read the blog for any length of time, you will not be at all surprised to read my answer of "buy tulips"!!! It's been a long standing tradition of mine to have numerous bouquets of tulips in our house in January, and sometimes, well into February too. They are a daily reminder that spring is coming. Eventually :)

2) Something you do for your family to bring joy over the winter?

I try to find fun activities to do outdoors (or indoors!) in winter. If we can find something fun to do, it makes winter a little more enjoyable. Skating has been a highlight this year.

3) Favourite cozy items or go-to's?

Right now, I love curling up in the blanket my best friend crocheted for me for my birthday. I also love my fleecy owl pajama pants and my sherpa jackets.

And slippers -- slippers are also important for supreme coziness.

4) Winter exercise habits or practices?

Snow shoveling is a great workout! Especially when we get a lot of it. Other than that, I don't have anything amazing to suggest. We get wet, heavy snow so it's basically weightlifting. Yay?!

5) Do you practice journaling or meditation?

Does my blog count as a journal? Other than that, no.

6) Do you light candles or use essential oils to relax?

No, I hate candles. My coworker has a diffuser going in the office every morning which I enjoy but I haven't translated that practice to at home.

7) Any bedtime rituals you would like to share that promote quality sleep?

Flannel sheets and my comfort bag (heat bag? magic bag? What do you call it?) on my feet at night. It's like an instant cue to make me really sleepy :) I even read an article the other day which shows that there's documented proof behind warm feet helping you fall asleep but of course I can't find it now... 

8) What are your morning habits that help prepare for a good day?

I get up much earlier than I have to so that I have time to wake up. I enjoy a quiet hour (or more) of drinking my coffee-hot chocolate, blogging, talking with Dave (once he wakes up), and enjoying the soft glow of the twinkle lights.

9) Favourite way to spend a day off in winter?

My favourite way would be to sleep in, enjoy a couple of cups of coffee-hot chocolate in my pajamas and blanket, maybe spend some time doing a puzzle while enjoying my bouquets of tulips, eat an easy lunch -- not leftovers or anything which requires too much work, enjoy a fun activity outside in the afternoon (with lightly falling snow -- not too cold or windy please) like skating or walking in a forest, eat soup or pizza for supper, and then crawl into bed early with some cranberry tea spiked with Fireball Whiskey and a good book. Doesn't that just sound like the perfect day?!?!

10) Favourite winter themed movies?

Oh my goodness -- I can't think of any. I am completely stumped on this question.

I don't think any of my tips are revolutionary but I am looking forward to reading all your posts about these questions. Dave and I were talking a few months ago and we realized that winter is our least favourite season because it means a heck of a lot of work (shovelling, scraping, walking on icy sidewalks, trying to stay warm, etc) without a whole lot of benefits or things we really enjoy. However, we do choose to live in a place where we can experience all four seasons so we try to make the best of it.

And with that, I'm really hoping we wake up to a snow day and cancelled school (and work for me!) today. There's a better than good possibility so we shall see if I get to spend the morning enjoying a leisurely cup of coffee-hot chocolate and reading your blog posts. Otherwise, I'll be leaving extra early this morning to trudge to work in all our snow.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Your winters are REAL winters!! After reading how low your temps get I will never whinge again. Haha! Our lowest temps are around 9°C-17°C. I will think of you and all that snow when I am 'freezing' during our mild winters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep bracing waiting for winter to really hit here--- so while it hasn't been SUPER cold or snowy or icy YET it has been so very, very gray. Your perfect winter day does sound perfect. And I completely agree that snow shoveling is a great workout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter is definitely my least favorite season, but getting cozy and warm inside definitely helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was your school cancelled? Ours wasn't, much to the chagrin of Everett, he was convinced they wouldn't have school. I have come to realize that winter isn't really that long in Southern Ontario, it pretty much follows the calendar, whereas in Nova Scotia winter seemed to last a lot longer, snow in October and cold/grey into April, so that helps me enjoy winter here now as I know it could be worse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tulips too, what a great idea to keep them around to beat the winter blues!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again I always think of you with the tulips and they really help to brighten up winter AND the skating in the woods looks SO FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am going to buy tulips and think of you when I have the winter blues!. Thank you for joining us as you always go. It means a lot and you always have such Good tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also adore tulips and like to have flowers in my dining room all winter to cheer me up. Your perfect day sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tulips are so pretty in winter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know my feelings on winter {ha} and of course I will do this post...but probably late as usual! I 100% agree about cold vs. warm feet at bedtime - if my feet are cold, I absolutely cannot fall asleep. I've taken to warming my socks in the microwave or putting them on a heating pad before bed to get them warm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I HATE WINTER!!! Glad you can get over it with your tulips and good attitude. . .I just really struggle with liking anything about the season :/. I had super cold feet the other day (we had a rare afternoon where we snuggled in bed to watch a few shows) and they wouldn't warm up. . .never heard anything about warm feet contributing to better sleep - wow!! I sleep in socks, which I know a lot of people can't do. Your "perfect winter day" sounds like my kind of "perfect" day too, if I was to enjoy a winter day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a "grass is greener" moment, but really should be changed to "the snow is whiter" moment, because my kids are DYING for snow and all we have had is cold dreary rain so you miserable winter looks SO MUCH NICER than our miserable winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)