Monday, January 16, 2023

10 On The 10th: January 2023

I was feeling pretty out of ideas for ten pictures to take on January 10th. It was a week day and I feel like there's only so many pictures I can take of my regular old work days. But then I read Mix and Match Mama's Top 5/Bottom 5 post that day. You can see it here. And I was inspired.

So for this day's "10 on the 10th" I took pictures of my Top 5 spots in our house and my Bottom 5 spots in our house. And please note, if I do this again in summer, my Top 5/Bottom 5 might look a little different :)

Top 5 Spots In My House

5) My mug cupboard

 I love my mug cupboard. I love stumbling into the kitchen every morning and trying to decide which mug to drink out of that day. I love that this is my cupboard and no one else messes with the organization or decides what to put in it.

4) Our travel wall
 
I love our travel wall. I love sitting on the couch and looking at all the artwork/pictures and remembering the trips we bought them on. This wall started out as a sad little collection with space to be filled (you can see its beginnings here) and it has been filled with so many amazing memories. 

 
3) Our window lights
 
Normally, we hang our fabric Christmas light string in the dining room window but this year Sam suggested we hang it in the living room. I loved coming down each morning and drinking my coffee-hot chocolate under the glow of the lights. So I decided to hang a white light string there for January and beyond. Dave and I turn them on and have our coffee and it reminds us of our mornings outside this past summer. With our new fern and the tulips on the shelf, this is a wonderful morning view.

2) My indoor clothesline in the basement
 
This is not a great picture -- it's definitely not picturesque -- but it's one of my favourite things in our house, in winter. This indoor clothesline (the green thing in the middle left of the picture with the two white strings coming out of it) is one of my favourite things. It means I get to hang laundry on the line all winter long. I LOVE it!!!

1) My cozy bed
 
My bed, with flannel sheets, and a flannel duvet cover, is my favourite spot in our house in winter. I love crawling into bed and reading or blogging or falling asleep. I could spend all winter in bed! Hahaha!
 
Bottom 5 Spots in My House
 
5) Our back entry
 
It's crowded with winter jackets, snow pants, boots, skates, and the back table gets covered in stuff. We can't all take our boots off on the rug so we track snow on the floor and then we step in the wet snow with our socks and get wet socks. And this room is always just a little bit colder than the rest of the house. Ugh. 
 
 
4) Our basement
 
Other than laundry hanging, or, lately, to use the rowing machine, I rarely go into the basement in winter. It's dark and I don't need more dark. It's crowded with stuff. It's just annoying. In summer, this is the coldest area in the house and we love going down here to cool off, but in winter, it's just depressing.  

 
3) Dave's work space
 
Dave has been working at the end of our bed since March 2020. In summer it's slightly annoying but in winter, sometimes I get home from work and I just want to put on cozy pjs and relax in bed (where it's warm) and I can't because... Dave is working there. I would love to have a dedicated, PRIVATE, space in our house where Dave could work but we just don't have that, unfortunately.
 
2) Our front entry
 
Our front entry is also annoying. It's small and dark. The closet isn't insulated so we can't actually hang guests' coats there. Mostly guests use our back door because there's a lot more room but every once in awhile they have to use the front door and it's just such a pain. You can't open the door if there are two people in this space, which is rather inconvenient. 
 
1) This corner of the bathroom
 
This is the corner of the bathroom where my gaze naturally falls when I'm sitting on the toilet. It's also under the sink and right beside the tub. It's always the first part of the bathroom to get dirty so I'm usually staring at a gross looking floor. You know how every room has a piece of the floor where all the dirt gathers -- well, this is that piece for the bathroom. It looks lovely and clean in this picture because Dave had literally cleaned the bathroom two hours before I took this picture. Otherwise, it is just a disgusting mess. And that is why it is my least favourite space in our house. Don't worry that you will ever see it at its worst though because Dave always cleans this corner before guests come over!
 
So there's my somewhat unique "10 on the 10th" for January 2023. What are some of your favourite (and least favourite) spaces in your house? Do they change with the seasons?

8 comments:

  1. Your top 5 are so great! I think we all have a bottom 5 too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very creative and fun to see- great time to get creative in the cold winter right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you could make your back entry into a mud room of sorts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun 10 on the 10th! I have been really enjoying Shay's top 5 bottom 5 and this was a fun take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I have spots I stare at for the good and bad, too. Love that great black and white tile floor. And it looks spic and span to me. Because of my OCD I stare at things like the ceiling fan trying to figure out which blades should be the arms and which the legs and which one the head, as if it were a person. Yeah, I'm in bad shape over here.
    Could you do something in the basement for Dave's workspace? Maybe get a really nice desk to encourage him to work there? Love the cup cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny, I'm going to have to think on this for my house, what a unique spin on both 10 on the 10th and the Top 5/Bottom 5, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cool to see different parts of people's homes. I do love your travel wall. I seem to remember that from another post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your top 5 and your bottom 5 made me chuckle. Our mudroom is the same as the entry - it's always a mess and if there is snow, there are piles of water everywhere. I keep old ratty towels in there to put down as "carpets" (ha!) to soak up the extra water. I also laughed at your bathroom corner - we have several gross spots like that, too, and they are the bain of my clean existence.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)