Thursday, January 05, 2023

10 On The 10th: December 2022

I haven't been very timely with my "10 on the 10th" posts lately but I still like to share them. Here are ten pictures from December 10, 2022. I should also clarify that we knew we weren't going to be home for Christmas, and I'd watched the Hallmark movie, "Christmas With The Darlingtons" where they decorate a tree for the birds. So Rachel and I had planned to decorate a tree for the birds this day as we weren't doing a traditional Christmas tree in our house. Read on to see how that went for us!

Many days in December start with potpourri on the stove. Since December was so busy, I think I'll continue to make this into January as well. It just makes our house smell so good!

 

Weekend cups of coffee-hot chocolate, where I don't have to rush off anywhere, are the best!

I was super excited to have my cheese Advent calendar and then Sam and Dave kept wanting tastes. So Dave eventually got his own. Yes, we each need our own cheese calendar during this season!

I mixed up a batch of Applesauce Jumbles this day and my new, festive scraper, still makes me really happy!

And now on with the bird tree decorating... I got all my ideas from Pinterest. Some of them... didn't work so well, shall we say!

Rachel and I had made these bird seed ornaments, and frozen them, the weekend before, so we put string through them. Sadly, they didn't hold together very well.

 
Rachel and I baked oranges to make cranberry-orange decorations. Rachel and her friend made strings of cranberries and popcorn.

I had to place the birdseed ornaments in strategic spots on the branches since hanging them was a complete failure and they just broke apart.

Our somewhat decorated tree in the back yard.
 
The next day we woke up and the tree was bare. The squirrels had completely ransacked it in the middle of the night! I laughed so hard because it was such a complete gong show! In the movie I'd watched, the tree had looked beautiful for a few days but this was the weekend I learned, "Life is not a Hallmark movie!" I even hung a few more decorations out the next day, and then watched from the window, as the squirrels stole those within a few hours. Lesson learned :)

Thankfully, Rachel and I enjoyed the process but I don't think this is something I would do again.

And that was our December 10th. January 10th is coming up soon and it will involve fewer holiday decorating ides from Pinterest and more regular life, I hope.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Natasha, I am laughing so hard! "Life is not a Hallmark Movie"- I pretend it is too here- ha!! Well the effort was made and you will always have that fun memory to look back on. That potpourri sounds like such a great idea for the whole winter and so happy to see you whipping up Applesauce Jumbles again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least you fed the squirrels! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as you said you decorated a tree for the birds, I had an inkling of how that went! Southern Ontario squirrels are ruthless! It's either them or the raccoons. I guess someone still enjoyed the food you put out, even if it wasn't the intended recipient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I remember making things like this for the birds growing up. I always enjoyed that so much, but yeah the squirrels are definitely pests when comes to steeling bird food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was the first year I adopted your stovetop potpourri and it was a HUGE hit in my household. My kids LOVED coming downstairs in the morning to the smell and also adored it after school. Everyone who came in the house commented on how good it smelled. Thank you for sharing this wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those pesky squirrels; I guess I shouldn't be surprised they ate it all since they do try to climb our siding to reach our bird feeder. I haven't made stove top potpourri in ages but I always loved the smell.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)