Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Unplugging (Kind Of, Sort Of, Maybe)

So as I may have mentioned once or twice (a day for the past six months!), we are going to New Zealand today. Did you catch that?
WE. ARE. GOING. TO. NEW. ZEALAND. TODAY.

yikes

We leave for the airport in about five hours and I cannot wait. I am completely excited to spend two weeks with Dave, and our friends, Donny and Marika. I am beyond excited about seeing a new country. I am resigned to the 30 hours it will take to get to said country, although I have to admit there is just a tinge of excitement about flying on the plane, and navigating the airport, without kids. Yay!

I am also a little nervous about leaving the kids behind for so long. I am going to enjoy my break from parenting while simultaneously missing Sam and Rachel like crazy. Except not on the flights, as I've already pointed out.

I'm also going to miss you guys. Dave and I have discussed and negotiated and compromised. (Okay it was actually about a three minute conversation but my other sentence sounded better!) I am going to write blog posts, publish comments, and post to Instagram, but he is worried that I will spend too much of our trip reading blogs and 'liking' Instagram posts and replying to our blog comments, so I have told him I won't be doing any of those things. I'm not even going near Facebook or e-mail. So please forgive me for ignoring you for the next three (or so) weeks, because even once we get home I will need to spend some time loving on Sam and Rachel, recovering from jet lag, and figuring out how to say thank you to my parents in seventy different ways for the amazing gift they are giving us, before I can get caught up on all of your lives. And I very much will want to get caught up on your lives. I will miss you guys too. I'll just miss my kids more :)

So enjoy following our trip (or not, because I completely understand if you don't particularly care about those posts) and I'll see you when I get back. And also, I have no idea how posting will work from New Zealand. In Canada I try to post once a day, in the mornings, but there I will just post as is convenient. I don't know if my posts will show up seven in a row in the middle of the night or not for a day or two and then a post mid-afternoon, or what.. So also forgive me if suddenly your blog feed is overwhelmed with posts from me. Just know that I didn't do it intentionally :)

I hope you all have a good couple of weeks and I look forward to catching up with all of you when I return.

13 comments:

  1. Have the time of your life! I'll be looking forward to all of your posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you will be posting as you go! I can't wait to live it through you!!! Have SO much fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I posted as we traveled because I would have forgotten a lot of it if I'd tried to blog after it was all over.

      Delete
  3. I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!! Will miss you terribly but can't wait to read your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really was touched by everyone's excitement on my behalf! Thank you for that.

      Delete
  4. So excited!! Must finish packing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have sooo much fun!!! I can't wait to like every single picture from New Zealand!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cannot wait to follow your trip!! And don't even worry about responding to blog posts--you're officially off the hook! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So excited to follow this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, I'm jealous that you will be in NZ when the Duke and Duchess will be touring!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you all have a safe and wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree with Dave's way of taking a vacation. I feel like I spend so much time online normally that when I'm away I really need to un-connect. Of course I wind up scheduling blog posts to go live when I'm away, but I'm not the one posting them. Of course I still wind up checking to make sure that they do go live, and still post on instagram... but I definitely enjoy the time away from it all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)