Monday, April 03, 2023

Blue Jays Spring Training Game!!!

The whole impetus for our March Break trip was to go to Blue Jays Spring Training. The whole trip began with me saying, "I'd love to go see the Jays play in Florida over March Break" and we started dreaming from there. So needless to say, I was very excited about this day.

Sadly, when we woke up it was raining, and I was concerned that the game would be cancelled, which would have been so disappointing as this was the only Blue Jays home game we could make work. Thankfully, even though it was pouring as we left the hotel, by the time we got to Dunedin, twenty minutes later, there was nothing but sunny skies. Phew.

We waited at this spot for about an hour, hoping to get player autographs, but, because of the rain, they never took batting practice, so we didn't get any. However, we were just thrilled to be there!
It was a beautiful day for baseball!

We always sit in the the cheapest seats available so at The Skydome, we're way up on the 500 level, usually. The Skydome holds about 42,000 fans while TD Ballpark only holds 8,500 people so there are no bad seats. We had great views of our team. Bichette is on the left and Vladdy is on the right.

I loved this white board with the lineup on it. The game was really fun to watch and the Jays won. The only downside was that I got a sunburn. Ooops.

After the game we bought Spring Training t-shirts at the gift shop and then got Ace, the Jays' mascot, to sign hats. And we got a picture with Ace.

I'm still so excited that we got to do this! This was absolutely a bucket list item for me and it was so great! I'd love to take another trip to Florida and just focus on going to baseball games. It would be fun to follow the Jays around to some other parks and see another game or two at TD Ballpark. But I'm so glad this worked out for us this year.
 
Fun story: After the game, we were walking to our car, and I saw Hazel Mae, one of our TV announcers, sitting in a white SUV. I asked, "Can I get your autograph?" and she was so gracious, and signed my book for me. Then she signed Rachel's hat too. Hazel Mae was sitting in the passenger seat, and the driver was passing our stuff to her to sign. And then I realized her son was sitting in the back seat, and the driver was actually her husband.
 
So we totally fan girled on Hazel Mae while she was with her family. Once I realized that, I apologized and said, "Thank you so much. We so appreciate you bringing us the games on TV." She was so kind and I was so excited to meet her.

Anyways, all that is to say that our Blue Jays Spring Training game was so fun and we had such a great time!

6 comments:

  1. What a cool experience! My dad, as a Mets fan, goes to spring training games sometimes since he lives much closer to them than he does to their actual games now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun experience!!! So glad the weather cleared for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so fun you met Hazel Mae, she seems so great and I know the players all love her. I love sitting close to the field too, you're really in on the action!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So jealous you got to go to opening day!! Looks and sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love this post! So excited you finally made it down there. Ace is pretty cool mascot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fun! I'm a big baseball fan (Mets fan here).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)