Wednesday, April 19, 2023

The Rest Of My March Reading

I have all these blog posts I want to write rattling around in my head and just haven't had time (read: made the time) to get any of them "down on paper" as it were :) So this one is coming later than I had hoped but I've just been prioritizing other things these days -- mostly time outside! With that caveat, here is how my March reading finished up.

This is the only book I read on our March Break vacation. Normally, I love Fiona Davis' novels but I found this one was easy to put down, which is not a good sign. I loved reading about Grand Central Station and now I want to go back and really appreciate it, but this story just didn't engage me the way Davis' other novels have.

I read most of this book before we went on vacation but couldn't quite finish it before we left. So I finished it the day we got home. While I enjoyed reading about the fictionalized early days of the BBC, again, the story didn't quite compel me to keep reading it. I was quite okay to put this book down for a week and then come back to it.

This was a fun, light read. I did enjoy the wedding portions of the book and reading about the relationship. This wasn't the most amazing romcom I've ever read but it was pretty good.

I LOVED this book about abortion history in Canada (especially Toronto) from the 1950s through to the 1990s. I couldn't put this book down and stayed up way too late reading it. I would highly recommend this book, but be warned, it does deal outright with abortion.

 

This was the newest book in the In Death series. Even though I'm reading more than the In Death books, I still want to keep up with these ones :) This was not my favourite book in the series. Sometimes I think these books are really good and sometimes they're just...okay. This was a "just okay" one.

I had heard about the Tulsa Race Riot in 1921 but I'd never read a book about it before. Even though this was a young adult book, I thought it was very interesting and powerful. This book covers two stories -- one from present day and one from 1921 -- and I thought they were both well done.

This is an example of one of the better In Death books. I'd read it before and thought it held up just as well with a second reading. I think I really enjoy when Robb writes about "present day" issues and sex trafficking was a main focus in this book.

I read this book for the Decades Reading Challenge. While there were parts of it I appreciated, in general, I thought this book was very slow moving. The author tried to explain all the lobbying the various groups were participating in but I found it confusing and a little dry. This book took me awhile to read which I was disappointed in as I thought the subject matter could have been very interesting. This book did make me appreciate my right to vote and I vowed to always exercise that right, after so many women fought for it for so long.

Total March books read: 13

Total 2023 books read: 46

So this was a good couple of weeks of reading. I probably say this every book post I write this year but I'm still so grateful that my reading has normalized (for now) after the craziness of last year.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh some of these look right up my alley- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought We Can't Keep Meeting Like This was cute; maybe nothing fabulous or earth shattering about it but just really cute. I do find that while I can usually read the In Death books in just a day there are some that are much more compelling than others. I think Abandoned in Death was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Added Dreamland Burning - that is definitely a piece of history that I'd like to know more about!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)