Wednesday, February 26, 2020

What's Up Wednesday: February 2020

Welcome to What's Up Wednesday for February. Read on to discover what we've been up to this month.
image from here

What we're eating this week... Pancakes! Last night we had a pancake supper at church for the Sr Youth and their families. Because I'm a sponsor, we got to enjoy it too. Yum!!!

What I'm reminiscing about... Ummmm, I don't really know. I'm almost done the blog recaps from our Disney Cruise in January and I'm not so much reminiscing about that as I am dreaming about our next one :) Does that count? If you want to read about our cruise, you can click here. In a nutshell, we cruised out of San Juan, Puerto Rico and went to Antigua, Aruba, Bonaire, and CuraƧao. And best of all, my parents joined us!

What I'm loving... My new(ish) job, despite some of the current political struggles. I wrote a (very long) post about it yesterday which you can read here if you're interested.

What we've been up to... On Saturday night we joined in on the Coldest Night of the Year walk to raise money to help homeless people in our city. We were going to only walk 5km but we ended up walking about 7. It was a warm-ish evening out and once we got started, we just couldn't stop! Ha!


What I'm dreading... We're supposed to get a big snowstorm this afternoon and continuing into this evening. It could bring anywhere between 10 and 25 (!!!) centimetres of snow. That's between 4 and TEN inches. I'm really hoping for 10 cm or less because where would we put 25 cm of snow?!?!?!?
 Our back and front yards currently. They're already pretty snow covered...

What I'm working on... I should have all our (very belated) holiday cards sent out by Friday so that's the main thing I've been working on. A few things conspired against us getting them out in a timely fashion this year. Ugh. Thankfully they say "Happy Holidays" so they'll be relevant for St Patrick's Day or the first day of Spring, depending on when people get them! Hahaha!!!

What I'm excited about... I finally got my library training for work. I worked my first library shift last week and will work another one at the same school tomorrow. Due to various issues, it took two months for me to get this training so I'm so happy it's done and I can take library jobs now!

Oh, and did you know baseball started on Saturday?!?!? Yes, we're in the midst of Spring Training games right now and I love it!!! Only four weeks and one day until Opening Day!!!
 
What I'm watching/reading... I'm watching our calendar, hoping and praying for a night at home. It doesn't look like we're going to get one anytime soon. Ugh.

As for reading, I've been working my way through The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander. This book is so good and I'm definitely learning a lot about racism and how the prison/court system works in the US. Every time I read a book like this I think I need to find one written within the Canadian context because I know we have our own problems.

What I'm listening to... Blue Jays spring training baseball is on the radio! It's the most wonderful time of the year! I was seriously giddy on Saturday when I heard the words, "We now return you to Blue Jays Baseball on the Sportsnet Radio Network."
This was Sam and me on Saturday as we listened to the first game of the year!
Whooooo hooooo!!!

What I'm wearing... I bought some new work pants this past weekend (and a spring-like top) so I'm excited to be wearing them.
On the left is the outfit I wore (minus the slippers) on my first day as a librarian! On the right are one of my new pairs of pants and the top I bought.

What I'm doing this weekend... I'm hoping to bake buns, we're going to our neighbourhood potluck and trivia night, I might be going to a clothes swap on Friday night, and I have book club on Sunday. Plus there's church and synagogue and some extra dance in there too. Oh, and listening to baseball of course! (PS. Edited to add: Dave read my post and said, "Wow! We have a lot up this weekend." Ha!)

What I'm looking forward to next month... I'm looking forward to not having to work while the kids are on March Break. This will be the first time in five years that I won't be trying to get work done while the kids are home. Yay!

Oh, I'm also looking forward to Canstruction. You can read more about it here, but it's a fundraiser for local food banks but also an engineering marvel. Our family loves this event! If there is one near you, I highly recommend you check it out. You can read more about our experiences with it here: 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2019.
Just a small taste of the amazingness that is Canstruction!

What else is new... The biggest thing going on in our lives right now are the rotating teacher's strikes and how they affect the kids' school attendance and my job. I wrote a post about it yesterday so if you didn't read it earlier, you can read it here. Fun times. I just hope and pray there is a resolution soon.

10 comments:

  1. You are busy. I enjoyed this recap. Happy Wednesday.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I wish I could give up being so busy for Lent :) Have a good day.

      Delete
  2. We had pancakes too :) I know how you feel about the Canadian version of US problems. We tend to feel superior, but you're right, we have our own issues with black people and with the indigenous population. If you find a good book on the topic, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there is a whole system of institutional racism with the Canadian indigenous population that I just don't know about. I was hoping you might have a book to read :) I will keep you posted though...

      Delete
  3. My girls would adore a Disney cruise. I definitely am not wanting anymore snow as well. Bring on Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm always excited to find someone else who knows it's baseball season!! My son actually plays MLB and I'm sad we aren't going for spring training this year. Pancakes for breakfast is always a win...and I may steal that idea tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Construction looks neat! I love that it was so nice out you just decide to walk more. That happens with us a lot of the time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canstruction is really incredible. I highly recommend visiting it if you can find one near you. And yes, I love that my kids especially, were up for going further than we had planned!

      Delete
  6. I'm so jealous of the library work! Also, dumb question but since Canada didn't have slaves, do you still have racism problems like we do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had pancakes for dinner last week too! A Disney cruise would be so much fun!

    Jill - Doused in Pink

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)