Monday, April 29, 2024

My Weekend Was All Booked

This is partly a book review and partly a recap of the 24 Hour Readathon I participated in a few weeks ago. I didn't read for the full 24 hours but my goal was "to read as much as possible" and I definitely accomplished that! Also, I only found out this readathon was happening about four days before it took place so I felt a little rushed in my preparations!

My hopeful TBR. This was mostly books which were due at the library soon and had a lot of holds on them.
We told the kids they could only have snacks if they read a good portion of the day, if possible. Since Rachel had a full day of dance and religious school, she came downstairs and read for about forty-five minutes before she started her day.
I had a headache so I crawled into bed with a freshly baked croissant, my coffee-hot chocolate in a themed mug, and a book. I felt better and read this book in one sitting. Mini review: I really enjoyed it. Yes, parts of it were silly and cheesy but it had my favourite thing in a book -- where a character builds a really great community around themselves. Plus, it was just a really fun book! It was a perfect, quick, light read for a readathon which started with a headache.
I forget what I did for lunch but I ate some chips and dip in the afternoon and read Expiration Dates. This book was also pretty good. It surprised me in a few ways, which I enjoyed. And yes, it's a romcom but there's also a bit more to it than that.
We had charcuterie which Dave and Sam put together for supper. It was sooooo good!!! This is a readathon tradition which I got from an Instagram friend whom I met through readathons. I've also met her twice in real life which is really fun!
Another readathon tradition is the walking and reading picture with the kids, this time featuring pajamas! Hahaha! I didn't get dressed all day which was amazing! I really needed a whole day to just read and not worry about anything else. It was a cold day so we didn't walk long.
 
Just for fun, here's the first "reading and walking" picture I have from October 2018:
 

This book took me from late afternoon until late evening to read. It was so good but also surprising to me. I didn't realize Hannah focused so much on the PTSD that Frankie experienced and how it affected her life after Vietnam. I thought it would be more about the war, so it was a refreshing change that the majority of the book was about "after the war." As someone who worked in a war zone, and experienced PTSD (although not to the extent that Frankie did), this was really unexpected but welcomed.
That night I fell asleep starting a reread of A Court Of Thorns and Roses. I was inspired to read it again as my principal is currently reading this series so I've been talking about it recently! We had to get Sam off to his field trip early the next morning so when I got home at 7:15am, I crawled back into bed and read for an hour or so until I dozed off.

I finished this book after the readathon but my mini review is that this is a really fun series and the first book really is so good. Until you get to the later books, that is! If you like fantasy and world building, then I would highly recommend this series.

This was the final stack of books I read, and completed, during the readathon. It felt good to finish a stack of books and they were all really good books. I would recommend any of them!

It will probably be awhile until I can do a readathon again so I was happy that I was able to make this one work. Now, I'm off to another week of work but really, all I want to do is crawl into bed with a good book and read all day! Ha!

6 comments:

  1. Your kids have the best reading role model!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started Expiration Dates today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised that The Women had less about the war and more about after the war too but I really liked it. I'll have to look into Expiration Dates; I could use a cute little romcom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great weekend of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of these days I'll do a Readathon - I might have to kick everyone else out of the house though. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)