Friday, March 03, 2023

The Rest Of My February Reading

I was sick and off work for three days during this time which meant that, if I wasn't sleeping, I was reading. So I got a lot of books read during the last half of February, including some physical books from the library. It's been awhile since I've read a physical library book and some of these had been sitting on my dresser for longer than I care to admit.

I found out about this book through the Decades Reading Challenge (see more here) that I've mentioned before. I loved that this one was Canadian based. I've never read about the history of rum running from the Canadian perspective and I just found it so interesting. Additionally, this is the second novel I've read by this author and I will be looking for more of her books as I really enjoy them.

A grumpy older person, the community they build around them, everyone's life falling apart (and then being put back together), set in London -- what didn't I LOVE about this book? I think everyone should read it. It gave off serious A Man Called Ove vibes and I was so here for it!

A romcom with a phsyics bent? Yes, please. I enjoyed this book more than I ever thought I could, given that physics was my least favourite subject in high school. And I wondered what I would do if I had to live the same day over and over and over. This was such a fun book with such an interesting scientific focus.

Every once in awhile I just crave a Nora Roberts (or JD Robb) comfort read. So I devoured these first two books in The Bride Quartet in a short amount of time. I really enjoy these stories of various weddings, all the flowers in Emma's story, and the interaction between the four friends. Plus romance :)

I liked this book. I enjoyed the romantic mix up, I like the fact that stories of people with mental health struggles are becoming more main stream, this was a solidly good book. I think I may have enjoyed it more if I'd read it in December as it happens around Christmas and that theme is woven throughout the story.

I really wanted to like this book but I found it a little slow. I also found myself not wanting to pick it up and finish it. While I loved hearing the story of Belle, and reading more about The Morgan Library, I just found this book dragged a little.

This is a book I devoured in one sitting. I didn't remember a lot from It Ends With Us but that didn't keep me from enjoying this story. It hit me, once again, that if you get divorced from someone, and you have a child, you are still tied to that person for the rest of that child's life. And sometimes interactions with those people can be really problematic. (I'm not speaking from any personal experience here, just from what was written about in this book.) 

Wow! This book was so good! I really enjoyed it and thought it was so well done. The other thing I really appreciated about this novel is that the two authors did a seamless job of writing this as one story from different perspectives. This is one of those books which I wish I hadn't read yet because I enjoyed reading it so much. Does that make any sense? I just want to read it again for the first time.

This was a Decades Reading Challenge book and, for those of you who recall the Bletchley Park rabbit hole I fell down after reading The Rose Code, this book may take me down a similar rabbit hole. I want to know more about the women working the switchboards during WWI. Find me some non-fiction books about them STAT! I really enjoyed this book.

I think I was one of the last people to read this book. I'd heard so much about it last summer or fall (I think). You can add me to the list of people who thought it was really good. It was a murder-mystery with a bit more meat to it and I really enjoyed it. I think what I especially appreciated is that it wasn't a book with an unreliable narrator and I realized I'm getting really tired of that specific trope.

So that was my February reading. What's the last fiction book you read that taught you something you just needed to know more about so you read some more books about that topic? Inquiring minds want to know... :)

Total February books read: 17

Total 2023 books read: 33

9 comments:

  1. I loved See You Yesterday! I have to read Iona Iverson - that is my favorite type of book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read The Maid, so you're not the last one! I didn't think I actually wanted to read it, but maybe I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Maid and Personal Librarian! I found her other books moved too slowly for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a couple of these already and am so bummed I had to return Iona Iverson before I had a chance to read it-- I've had a really horrible habit of ordering far too many books from the library and not being able to read all of them before they're due back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I will need to read Mad Honey- after seeing your review I think I will enjoy it too! I LOVED It Starts With Us too- Colleen Hoover is one of my faves :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mad Honey is on my list! I was off to such a good reading start in January, but working 50+ hours per week has really cutting into my reading time! haha. I've been reading the Beartown series by Fredrik Backman and have really been enjoying the books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man, I hate that you didn't like the Personal Librarian. When I saw the cover I was OOO another library related book! I really don't like when books drag, so I'll probably skip that one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. #GrumpLit is my favorite so I immediately adding "Rules for Commuting" to my TBR; excited to read it! And YAYYY for "Mad Honey"; can't wait to talk all about it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Bride Quartet! Such a feel good set of stories. That was Nora at her prime for me!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)