Thursday, March 13, 2014

CAN You Choose Just One?

We've been looking forward to this year's CANstruction, an event to raise money for the Food Bank, for a bit now. CANstruction is a "food and awareness raising event. Teams build impressive structures from thousands of canned food items which are then shared with the community." (taken from website linked above) We went to check it out this past Saturday, the first day, and we got to see some of the projects under construction.
Sam even donned a hard hat to supervise! Ha ha ha :)
We went back on Sunday to see all the completed projects and to vote for our favourites. You "vote" by donating money to the build of your choice. Sam and Rachel, armed with quarters and loonies, were equal opportunity voters and made sure each project received a couple of coins. Dave and I tried to be a little more discerning.
I almost voted for this one because I love the ducks in our city :)
Dave really liked how this "Plowing out hunger" structure really represented our current Winter!
I know someone who helped build the hockey player structure! (left)
Rachel placing one of her votes. (right)

The airplane got Dave's final vote.
And we didn't realize until later that one of our friends helped out with this one too!
Sam was excited to see the finished soccer field, complete with honey bear players and fans!
And this is the project which received my final vote. I just loved how the colours of the pasta boxes were used to represent water.

For local people, this is at Conestoga Mall until Saturday. Check it out because it's a really neat event, with the food and money going to a worthy cause. If you're interested, you can check out this website to see if there is a build in your area.

6 comments:

  1. THIS is the coolest thing I've ever seen. I gasped out loud!! How FUN!!!!! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And thanks for sharing about it on The Saturday Six. I just think the whole idea is such a great one!

      Delete
  2. That is SO cool!!! People are so creative!! And I love how the voting works!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! I like the plane best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I remember you posting about last year's event, right? I think I would have to be an equal opportunity voter like Sam and Rachel because I could not choose just one! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Didn't you go last year?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)