Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Housepainter For Hire

So we have been talking with Sam forever about painting his new room. We let him choose the colours, although Dave and I did choose the exact shades. As you saw yesterday, Sam has fourteen drawers which are built right into his walls. Even since seeing this pin, I have thought about painting the drawers in the colours Sam chose for his room. I thought the drawers would look really fun and it would add a bit of colour to that otherwise white part of his room. Then Sam got it into his head that HE wanted to paint his room. After thinking about it for a bit, I thought it might work well to have Sam paint a few of his drawers which would be scattered through out. So on Friday night after supper, we got to work.
Sam practiced the painting technique I taught him with his paint-free brush while I prepared the paint.
Sam quickly forgot the technique I taught him (all the brush strokes go in the same direction) and it quickly became a painting free-for-all. Yay?!?!??
Rachel was good at supervising. When she wasn't getting in the way, that is :)
Sam painting the next drawer. For this drawer he used the "I'm so good I don't even need to look" technique. (Did I mention we decided NOT to let him paint his entire room?)
For the green drawer, Sam practiced his invented "dot technique" which ended up looking a lot like he had sponged the drawer. But he only did it for half the drawer! Sam's "dot technique" is also not particularly healthy for the life of a paintbrush.
Here are the three drawers (including that little blue one at the back left) Sam painted. I'm glad that Sam got to paint a piece of his room and feels some ownership over it.
And here are the drawers I painted because I was too excited not to paint on Friday night! I'm also glad that we didn't just let Sam paint his entire room! However, if you have some painting which needs to be done and you don't want to do it yourself, I know someone you can hire. He is inexpensive and has an unique technique you won't find anywhere else. Just let me know...!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. How much wall prep have you guys had to do? That's what's preventing me from painting the upstairs bedroom. The walls and trim are a mess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Sam! Y'all are making so many fun memories! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam proudly points out the drawers he painted to everyone who visits!

      Delete
  3. Aww, that looks so fun! Sam will always remember how he got to help paint his room. And Sam, I am sure I could find some things for you to paint down here so come on! On another note, last night I did see a Quebec license plate down here at the beach so apparently Canadians do vacation here (and drive here). Haha! Just thought you might be interested in that road trip! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too cute!! I love this so much. I love the multi colored drawers, and I love that you are fostering a love of painting and room-ownership so early! GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really wanted him to feel a part of things and letting him paint some drawers was totally worth it.

      Delete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)