Thursday, June 27, 2024

Monthly Musings: Summer Travel And Traditions

It's the last Thursday of the month and time to link up with with Holly at Pink Lady and Patty at Good, Better, Best for their "Monthly Musings." I love this link up so much and am so thankful that Holly and Patty continue to host it.

 

1) Share your summer plans.

Our summer plans include some housesitting and volunteering for the kids and relaxing and getting things done around the house for me. And work for Dave -- hahaha!!! We have a family vacation planned (a road trip where we'll see some friends and some family, we'll do some of our favourite things, we'll hit some of our favourite places, and we'll explore some new places -- it's going to be great!) and Dave and I have a trip planned for just the two of us which I'm incredibly excited about!!! The kids have a week of sleepaway camp and Rachel will attend a few local camps. Sam didn't want to attend any day camps so he has some different fun of his own planned.

I'm realizing that this summer my kids feel "older" with their own plans. Between volunteering and some paid work, they're definitely not in the "little kid" stage anymore. Time flies.

2) What are your summer traditions?

I answered this question in my last Monthly Musings and you can find it here. Since there were two #3 questions this time, I'm wondering if this question wasn't supposed to be here...

3) What is your favourite summer destination?

My favourite summer destination is one we're not getting to this year -- Saskatchewan!!! I love spending time in Saskatchewan in summer but we just couldn't make it work this year :(

Me in Saskatchewan, July 2023

3) Do you prefer the ocean or a lake?

I prefer the ocean. Although the Great Lakes which are closest to us are huge and feel more like oceans than lakes -- they have very sandy bottoms and lots of waves!

At Lake Erie, June 2021

4) Do you have any pool time planned?

Yes! We need to get to the pool more this summer. We've been a couple of times and I'm hoping to go more once I have more time during the day.

Pool time, Summer 2021

5) Best travel or packing tip?

This sounds dumb but my best travel tip is "plan the travel, take the trip." I was talking with a co-worker and she said, "I love to travel but we never plan it so it doesn't happen." We're always talking about travel around here. We dream about our next destinations, we talk about where we're going, and where we've been. The kids even have their own travel "bucket list destinations." If travel is something you want to do, then talk about it, dream about it, and do what you can to make it happen!

We're already dreaming about our next March Break trip and have booked a big trip for next summer. Like I said, we're always talking and dreaming about travel around here :)

6) Favourite summer movie?

I have a hard time answering this question. I don't love movies in general and I really don't tend to watch them in the summer.

7) Beverage that says summer to you?

A G&T. I love a good G&T, especially if my dad makes it! I also love homemade decaf iced tea with mint and lemon.

With my dad and a G&T, July 2023

8) What songs say summer to you?

Last year a blogger mentioned the Summer Hits of the 80s on Spotify and I've got that on repeat. I love 80s music and this mix just hits all the right notes for me! I also love listening to a Blue Jays baseball game on the radio outside in summer, even if it's not music :)

Folding laundry while listening to the Blue Jays (radio, bottom left), May 2023

9) What do you like on your burgers or hot dogs?

I don't love hot dogs (unless we're at a baseball game) but give me a good veggie burger (as close to fake meat as possible) topped with tomatoes, pickles, BBQ sauce, and lettuce. YUM!!!

10) Charcoal or gas grill?

Does propane BBQ count as "gas"? That's what we have and we use it A LOT in summer.

Dave with our new BBQ, August 2020

Okay, I am sooooo ready for summer! Like I said above, even though this summer will look different than other summers with the kids "more grown up" plans, I'm excited for lazier days, longer nights, some good family time, and the new adventures this summer will bring!

I'm looking forward to reading all of your posts but it probably won't happen until this weekend because... it's the last days of school and work before summer break begins around here. Cheers to summer!!!

11 comments:

  1. Yeah for the end of school for you! Woohoo! Can't wait to follow along with your summer adventures- hope it is an amazing season for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This summer has a very different feel with all 3 of my boys driving and having their own work and plans and no family vacation planned (we're heading to Hawaii in December so I'm totally willing to forgo travel this summer!). But I totally agree with you that you need to plan the trips and take the trips. I already have a couple of ideas for travel next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your post. You caught the two #3s as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's strange when the kids are older and have their own summer plans! This is Simon's second summer with nothing planned. I don't know how he doesn't get bored!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Propane totally counts!!!! We used to own a propane company, we are VERY pro-propane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you and your family have a happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Great Lakes really do feel like oceans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, school runs late where you are! I'm in SC and kids have been out since mid-May. Which seems early but everyone is ready. I have never been to The Great Lakes. I live on a lake and enjoy all the activity here-kayaking, boating, swimming, and this year I'm trying the paddleboard. It might take me all summer to feel confident, but I'm working on it. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy summer! My kids are tiny bit younger than yours, but I am also feeling that "not a little kid" summer vibe this year! Splash pads aren't quite cutting it for entertainment haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your patience with my typo! That's.om me and not Holly. Cheers to the end of the school year.

    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you have some great plans for the summer, and I love your travel trip. It doesn't just happen - you have to plan! It is kind of weird when the kids reach that "we have our own plans" stage and they do grow up too quickly. Hope your summer is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)