Friday, September 06, 2013

A Letter To My Future Self

Dear Future Self,

One day, many years from now, when you are looking at these blog archives and wondering why there was a lack of posts in August and September 2013, I want to remind you of what all was happening during these weeks. There was a lot going on in your life. In case your memory is a little fuzzy, let me refresh it for you.

First of all you moved to a new house, the one where you and Dave spent many happy years together (I assume). You were painting, moving, unpacking and caring for two kids (plus some extra ones now and again).

Then Sam started Junior Kindergarten going full days, every day. I know he's all grown up and his kids are practically done school now but remember how in that first week of September you wondered if he (and you) would survive those first weeks. Remember packing food (no peanuts!) for his two nutrition breaks every day? Aren't you glad those days are over with?

Then you were volunteering as the treasurer at Rachel's preschool. Dave set up a dedicated treasurer's desk for you in the basement (I've provided a picture to jog your memory) and you spent many an hour down there. Rachel was just starting in the toddler class and remember how excited she was about her "owl backpack" and that it was now her turn to go after watching Sam attend the previous year? I know you look at her daughter now and see Rachel all over again. Hopefully the Little Miss will be just as stubborn as Rachel was and you can sit back and laugh -- just like Mom did watching you and Rachel :)
 
No wonder you didn't have any time to blog. Much as you missed it, sometimes sleep, talking to Dave, cuddling Rachel or reading Sam a book was more important. But I'm also here to remind you that you survived the busyness and got back to blogging. Eventually. (See the years of archives which follow this post as proof.)

Well Self, it's been nice checking in with you. Now it's time to drink some more tea. You likely won't remember last night but it was unseasonably cold for early September and you refused to turn the furnace on, even though there was a risk of frost and a predicted low of 3C. Now stop reading the blog archives and Go. To. Bed. Your book is waiting for you. And so is Dave.

Love,
Me

3 comments:

  1. Awe, I missed you, but I knew you were having a very busy week! Thank goodness for facebook, huh? I can't wait to read more about progress on the house and how the kids are enjoying school. Those first weeks of school are a huge adjustment period. Wow, I can't believe it is already cold up there! Doesn't Canada know it is still summer until September 21st? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have a lot on your plate right now. Getting into a new school routine is a lot of work and I can only imagine how hard that is with moving on top of it. But, you'll get it! You can send your weather here if you want...it's VERY hot here!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)