Wednesday, December 28, 2022

What's Up Wednesday: December 2022

Even though in recent years the hosts haven't posted a December What's Up Wednesday, I still like to write them. And although I may not want to specifically remember these past few days for all time, it is good to document what has been happening in our lives. So welcome to the "We're living in suspended animation due to a cancelled flight" version of What's Up Wednesday.

And I will do a shout out to Shay at Mix and Match Mama and Sheaffer at Sheaffer Told Me Too for the questions, even if there isn't a link up.

image from here

What we're eating this week... Well, for the past few days we've been eating very randomly. We had cleaned out our fridge on Christmas Eve, expecting to be on a flight the next day. However, it got cancelled and instead of flying to Saskatchewan, we drove back home. However, we're really hoping our flight later today takes off, and it wasn't worth grocery shopping for two days, so we've been making do. Thanks to some very generous friends who have invited us for meals/dropped some food off for us. But yeah, it's a bit odd around here.
Celebrating an unexpected Christmas Dinner with our friend, Elinor.

What I'm reminiscing about... I'm reminiscing about last Christmas in Saskatchewan and hoping we'll get to make new Christmas memories this year.

What I'm loving... I am loving that we have been able to go skating since we've been unexpectedly at home and our kids are making HUGE strides. Hopefully we'll be able to spend lots of time on skating rinks this winter.

What we've been up to... Trying to make the best out of a really weird, and sometimes sad, situation. We've done lots of puzzles, gone skating, visited Wonders of Winter, and Dave took the kids bowling.
lots of time for puzzles

Wonders of Winter


So much snow!

Before that we were up to watching Rachel dance in the symphony and trying to get Sam to work on Thank You cards from his Bar Mitzvah! Hahaha! We also celebrated Channukah and lit the candles on the menorahs every night except for one (even if the eighth night was a bit belated).

Rachel, as a marionette, for the symphony. She rocked her dance!
 
What I'm dreading...  Right now I'm dreading that something will happen to the flight we have booked for today and we still won't be in Saskatchewan tonight. I'm also dreading that we will get to Saskatchewan but our luggage won't. Travelling is such a privilege but also something where I have to give up all control and that is hard for me.

What I'm working on... Trying to maintain a good attitude, despite our travel disruptions. We've been trying to find fun things to do during this unexpected time at home. And I'm trying to focus on the fact that we have power in our house, we're able to be "stranded" at home (as opposed to in a Wal-Mart, at the airport, or somewhere else not at all convenient), everyone is healthy (a number of friends have been dealing with illness this holiday season), etc.

What I'm excited about... I'm really excited about the fact that we might be in Saskatchewan tonight!!! Please, please, please, let everything work out. If we make it, we'll celebrate Christmas with my parents tomorrow and see some aunts, uncles, and cousins on Friday. It'll be really great, if we can get there...
 
What I'm watching/reading... I've been watching all the flight information at our airport. Thankfully, today there appear to be fewer cancellations and delays, but, understandably, it was a bit of a mess for awhile.

As for reading, I am loving Debbie MacComber's Cedar Cove series and am on book 10. It's still slightly fluffy reading but I've progressed beyond the In Death series! I'm also working on The Diamond Eye by Kate Quinn and it's really good. Hopefully I'll finish it today.
 
What I'm listening to... Somehow we ended up down a YouTube rabbit hole on one of the nights of Channukah and we ended up listening to Twisted Sister's Christmas album. (That is one of the weirdest sentences I think I've ever written on the blog!) You have to listen to their version of "O Come All Ye Faithful." If you know their hit, "We're Not Gonna Take It" you will never listen to either song the same way again.

What I'm wearing... Pajamas. Honestly, that's mostly what we've been wearing these past few days. And fuzzy socks which our friend gave us as Christmas presents. They're really fun! I don't have a picture of all of us wearing ours, but I will get one!

What I'm doing this weekend... Well, we're either going to be relaxing in Saskatchewan or we'll be making the best of it at home. I really hope it's the first thing, but (likely after some tears), I'll really try to make the best of it if we're home.
  
What I'm looking forward to next month... January tulips and a fun weekend, winter, getaway we have planned. We were supposed to do this getaway last year for Dave's 40th birthday and we had to cancel because of my lung detachment so here's hoping it can happen this year.

What else is new... I think I've covered it all.

Thanks for reading about what's been up with us lately. Tune in on Instagram later today or tomorrow to see where we end up. Fingers crossed, and prayers being said, that my next post will be coming to you from Saskatchewan!!!

I hope you've all had a good week celebrating Channukah or Christmas or being able to relax with family and friends. And if you had travel plans impacted by the weather we experienced across all of North America, I hope you were safe and felt as much love as we did.

5 comments:

  1. So sorry your plans got impacted by the storms. Hope you can take off tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said the same thing in the start of my WUW post today; I knew Shay and Sheaffer would take the month off but I LOVE these posts and look back on them myself. We had family flying to Disney on Christmas day and their flight got canceled too (they decided to DRIVE it; which is like 18 hours without stopping.. I thought they were nuts! LOL). I hope your flight and your luggage all work out today! Travelling really is hard for me too because of that fact that so much is out of my control and I am not a good go with the flow kind of person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tulips- yes! Glad you are keeping the hope and really thinking positively- can't be easy! Happy New Year Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I followed your travel dramas on IG and I just couldn't imagine how draining that was.

    I love the puzzles ya'll did. So pretty.

    And how cute is Rachel in her down costume!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)