Saturday, December 31, 2022

Monthly Musings: Goals For The New Year

I'm jumping in with one last blog post for 2022. I wanted to join in on the Monthly Musings link up with Holly at Pink Lady and Patty at Good, Better, Best. I was hoping to have this post ready for Thursday morning but our Wednesday travel day went all to heck and well, here I am, posting this in the last few hours of 2022.

1) Do you make resolutions/goals for the New Year?

I always say I'm not going to, but I always have some in my head! Does that count?

2) Do you have diet/exercise goals?

I only have two:

A) Get my butt on the rowing machine Dave bought back in May. I haven't used it yet and I want to!

B) My principal brought me a Coke Zero a few weeks ago and I thought it was okay. I think I didn't love it because I'm too used to the sugar in regular Coke. So I want to drink Coke Zero for a week or two and see if I actually like it. Drinking less sugar would be good for me.

3) Do you have personal/professional goals for 2023?

My personal goal is to use my electric toothbrush (which my parents gave me for last Christmas) more consistently and my professional goal is to try and get hired permanently as a Head Secretary. (I don't have a lot of control over that one but I'll do my best!) Also, I want to remember how happy and thankful I am to be working at a Head Secretary and try to be less grumpy on the crazy, busy days. <-- I think they call this having an "attitude of gratitude" or something like that :)

4) Do you use a planner? Paper? Electronic? Combo?

I do buy a paper planner every year but then I'm very bad at using it. But I can't imagine not having one as I do use it sometimes... Considering how frugal I usually am, it surprises me that I continue to waste spend money on planners.

I am usually pretty on top of updating our family calendar, which hangs in our hallway, and the kids really count on it, so maybe that counts...

5) Do you have a word or phrase for 2023?

I don't have a specific one but I do want to try and enjoy and savour all the moments of 2023. I'm still so thankful for all the "regular" activities after all the closures and shutdowns of 2020, 2021, and early 2022, and I just want to soak up the regular things.

6) Ring in the New Year or asleep by 10pm?

Normally, I go for "asleep by 10pm" but, because of all our flight cancellations and delays, we actually celebrated Christmas Day this morning and we're going to celebrate Christmas Eve tonight. We're going to be enjoying appetizers, drinks, and Jólabókaflóð, the Icelandic tradition of getting new books and reading until all hours. So I'll likely be up late tonight! 

7) Favourite things to do on New Year's Day?

We sometimes have mimosas and a good brunch. Otherwise, usually relaxing, which is what I think tomorrow will hold. We'll probably spend a lot of time reading!

8) Any travel plans for 2023?

We already know we're doing a road trip for March Break. It will hold some baseball, some time with our best friends, and visiting some blog friends! I'm pretty excited about it!!! Otherwise, we don't have anything else planned. Yet.

According to Rachel, we're going to Saskatchewan this summer and heading to Hawaii for next Christmas so we'll see how that pans out for her! Hahaha!!!

9) Things/events you are most looking forward to in 2023?

2022 was a big year for us what with Dave turning 40, me turning 50, and our big trip to Europe this past summer. So I think 2023 will be a quieter year although Rachel will graduate Grade 6 and Sam will graduate Grade 8 so those are some pretty significant milestones.

10) Will you be watching any bowl games on New Year's or around New Year's?

That isn't really a Canadian thing. Sam wants to watch a Hallmark movie so maybe we'll do that.

I'm realizing that our New Year's plans are pretty quiet, and that is usually the case. We don't tend to go super big for New Year's. And I'm realizing that, as we're headed into 2023, I'm looking forward to a quieter year of just soaking up the quiet, regular moments. We'll see if that's what 2023 actually holds for us.

11 comments:

  1. Our new years plans are always very quiet too; we ended up going hiking today since it was pretty warm and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year! May your travel plans be FAR less eventful in the future than they have been this time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you finally made it to your parents! I hope this year is great for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way Rachel thinks- ha! Hope 2023 is an amazing year for you and your family Natasha! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for for joining us today. Sorry your travel plans went sideways. Wishing you a wonderful 2023!.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fully supportive of Hawaii for Christmas!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Rachel's travel plan for next Christmas ;). And I like your plan to savor and soak up the regular moments. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOooo...Can't wait to hear more about your spring break trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I second Rachel's travel plans! I love your thoughts for enjoying and savoring, such a great mindset...I might steal it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think rowing machine and using the electric toothbrush more are two fantastic, personal goals for 2023!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)