Thursday, July 25, 2019

Go West, Young Man, Go West

So in case you haven't read the blog lately (and you don't follow me on Instagram), we are currently on a road trip across Western (and into Northern) Canada. Friends of ours from our neighbourhood in Ontario moved to Whitehorse, The Yukon in the fall and we decided we wanted to visit them. We did the drive from Ontario to Saskatoon and Edmonton in August 2016, so we decided to start our drive in Saskatchewan to make it a bit more do-able.

Our first stop was Edmonton, Alberta, where we used to live. This is where both Sam and Rachel were born. We stayed with my aunt and uncle and cousin and the first night we had supper with our good friend, Natasha. Then we were able to go and see the house where we used to live. Both Dave and I were amazed at how small it seemed now!
The next morning the kids enjoyed picking berries. My aunt and uncle have turned their front yard into an amazing fruit/flower/vegetable garden. The kids ate lots of Saskatoon berries and raspberries.
And I took a ton of pictures of the lilies. They were so beautiful.
 
In the afternoon we met up with friends from my New Mom's group. Unfortunately some of the families were unavailable. However, Sam and Olivia used to be best friends and have known each other for almost ten years.
And Sheri and Marcia were two of my closest friends in Edmonton. I so wish we lived closer to each other and could see each other more often.
My cousin and her partner were able to join us for supper so we had to get a picture with them and my other cousin. Sam and Rachel LOVED playing with these cool adults!
The next day was the first day of our three day road trip north.
Sam contemplated the Alberta scenery at a rest stop.
We didn't know we'd see the world's largest beaver in Beaverton, Alberta. Ha!
We entered the province of BC (British Columbia) and I loved how people had made inukshuks behind the sign.
Spoiler alert: We didn't drive the entire Alaska Highway but we have driven a good portion of it! This was at Mile 0 -- a lot more miles to go!

And that was the first bit of our road trip. Next up: Wildlife and hot springs!

To read about Days 6 and 7 of our trip go here. And for extra bonus pictures, click here.

4 comments:

  1. What a great trip! I would love to go up Whitehorse or Yellowknife someday. Be careful out there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds amazing! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are documenting how many hours you are spending in the car! I haven't done a legit roadtrip since college (the longest I've driven with the kids is 6 hours) so the idea of a REAL roadtrip is both awe-inspiring and totally intimidating! Love following alone in instagram!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see more of Canada one day! (Currently, I've only seen Windsor.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)