Monday, October 21, 2024

10 On The 10th: October 2024

I thought October 10th was going to be a regular, boring day of work and folding laundry but it actually turned out to be one of the more memorable experiences of my life. The Northern Lights were out and we saw an incredible show! However, ten (somewhat blurry) pictures of Northern Lights could be a bit much, so I am continuing with my original idea. On October 12 & 13, we took a very quick road trip to New York state to watch Willem compete in a disc golf tournament with his college team,

Besides watching disc golf, we also stopped at Panera once, Target twice, and Trader Joe's once. We had some fun shopping! I found Sharon McMahon's new book, The Small and the Mighty and Sam found some equally important turkey slippers! Hahahahaha!!!
The morning of the disc golf tournament was rainy but the fall colours were on full display.
Although Rachel is holding two umbrella here, it wasn't too bad and we stayed fairly dry, except for our feet.
The disc golf course was in a park ringed with woods so some baskets were in the woods and some were on a more open field, with some large trees as obstacles. We didn't quite know what to expect but we just followed Willem and his team from hole to hole, trying to stay out of the way. We got to talk with Willem way more than we expected to but also tried to respect his space and concentration.
It was actually so fun to see disc golf played well (as opposed to how we do it! Hahaha!) and also to be having a morning walk in the woods. Also, we really appreciated that Willem's college coach came and talked with us a few times, explaining what was going on and sharing in the excitement.
After the tournament with Willem!
After the disc golf tournament, we grabbed some Starbucks to warm up. Since we had done some shopping, we had to be in the US for at least 24 hours, and we were close to the Pennsylvania border, so we drove to Pennsylvania to eat lunch at Sheetz and so Dave could mail his US ballot. He could have mailed it from Canada but decided to mail it in the US since we were there anyways.
 
And that was our super fun, super short, trip to the US.
 
And for those of you who missed seeing my Northern Lights pictures on Instagram, here's a bonus picture just for you:

2 comments:

  1. So so cool! I wish I had the time to stop and enjoy- I completely missed them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize Dave is an American citizen. I have to see if Gabbie got her ballot yet! And I have to go to early voting too. I loved seeing the Northern Lights here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)