Thursday, June 29, 2023

Monthly Musings: Summer Fun - Vacay, Trips, And Adventures

Even though today is my and Dave's 15th anniversary, I'm going to do our anniversary post tomorrow so I can link up with Holly at Pink Lady and Patty at Good, Better, Best. Dave won't care if I mark our anniversary a day late since he's been on a work trip since Monday and we won't see each other until tomorrow anyways. Hahaha!

 

1) Favourite vacation destinations?

I find this such a hard question to answer. It really depends on "for what reason." For complete and total relaxation, we love visiting my parents in Saskatchewan. For a trip where we want to do "all the things," we love New York City. I always love going somewhere new and discovering hidden gems and good places to walk, whether that be city streets or a great walking path. For me, if the vacation includes some sort of water -- a lake, an ocean, a river -- it's even better.

Walking in New York City on various trips, left: 2018, right: 2022

 

Saskatchewan!!!

2) Best packing tips?

I'm so boring but I have no packing tips. I just try not to pack too much, especially if I have access to laundry facilities.

3) Road trips or fly?

I really do love to fly. And while our family has done many road trips, it is just a little more freeing to not have a car. My favourite road trip ever was the one we did from Saskatchewan to the Yukon because there was very little traffic and the scenery was incredible.

 

I would choose a road trip every time if it was always scenery and traffic like this!

Northern British Columbia, 2019 

4) Favourite vacation memory as a child?

We once drove from Saskatchewan to Ottawa, Ontario (about three days of driving) with my three cousins. There were seven kids and my parents in the van and it was just so crazy and so fun. My parents probably don't remember it in the same way but it was so much better than road trips with just my siblings!

5) Ocean, lake, or mountains?

I really love all three but I've probably been to different oceans the most and there's just something so magical about oceans. It's probably that they're so flat, they remind me of the prairies! Hahaha!

6) Campout or indoor grill?

Neither. I'm a BBQ person all the way.

7) Favourite summer cocktail or mocktail?

Probably a G&T or a Moscow Mule, but I also love all the drinks my parents invent when we visit them!

8) Most amazing travel upgrade story?

I was flying home for Christmas one year in university, and I ran into my mom's cousin in the airport. He had a ton of business class points, and was rather irritated after many travel delays, so he decided to upgrade me to first class so we could hang out on the flight together. I was a poor university student and clearly remember that flight. We had little tablecloths and wine with our meal and it was so much fun! And, since this was well before cell phones, my parents and his wife were so surprised to see us walk off the plane together! It was the first time I'd ever flown first class and I will never forget it.

9) Ice cream or popsicle?

Ice cream all the way, especially from my favourite ice cream shop :)

10) Do you camp?

If we can "glamp" at my parents' house. We set up the tent, drag out big foam mattresses and real quilts, and have access to an indoor bathroom and kitchen. It's the best of both worlds!

I'm so excited for this summer because our vacations, trips, and adventures will likely include many of these things I've written about -- some of my favourite places and some of my favourite people.

7 comments:

  1. Ok I am feeling so honored that you pushed Dave for us- ha! So so funny :) Loved reading about your travels-we like so many of the same things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my yes, with scenery (and traffic!) like that I'd want to drive everywhere too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll cheers you next time I'm drinking my G&T!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those road trip views are stunning! Happy anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun answers! I loved the views in the Yukon. I like road trips a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So honored that you pushed your anniversary post for us. Happy Anniversary!

    Patty
    GoodBetterBestFood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an interesting post to read. Love to read how others do things. And Happy Anniversary (late)!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)