Monday, August 29, 2022

Northern Europe Disney Cruise 2022: Why We're Moving To Norway

While I can't decide between my second and third favourite days of the cruise, this day I'm about to write about was my absolute, hands down, favourite day. This was the day we docked in Stavanger, Norway, and we booked a port adventure to do a boat tour into Lysefjord. And it was incredible. Therefore I am about to overwhelm you with pictures and I'm not even sorry :) And hopefully you won't be sorry either, after you've seen them all.

This was on the boat headed into the fjord. Since it was raining and sort of cold (around 16C/62F) I was thankful that our boat had a very large, and warm, inside. However, I was also very excited when I discovered that we could go out on the upper deck of the boat for wetter, but clearer, views. So some of these pictures are taken from inside the boat and some are on the rainy outer deck.


It was while we were passing the group of houses in the upper left picture that Dave and I decided this would be a pretty great place to live. The views were incredible.

We were even able to stop and feed some goats, from the boat. Rachel loved that.

After about an hour of cruising into the fjord, we stopped for a break and got Norwegian waffles. They were served with a thick, sour cream like substance and jam and they were delicious!


This was a little further into the fjord and the towering rock walls were amazing.


 
I loved being able to get so close to the waterfall.

Do you see the green-ish mailbox in the middle of the picture? I was super excited to send a postcard from here until our boat captain told us the mail from this box only gets picked up about once every year or so.

 

All in all, we spent about two and a half to three hours cruising in this specific fjord. When we got back on the ship I started searching for cruises that only cruise in the Norwegian fjords and, after these pictures, I'm sure you can understand why! Wouldn't that be an incredible cruise?!?!?!

This phone booth/library was something we walked by as we left our fjord trip. I LOVED it and was so tempted to go in and browse. It looked so fun!!! 


As we were heading back to the ship, the kids saw something called Viking House. We went in and there was a virtual reality (VR) Viking experience which the kids talked us into trying. First though, Sam made a Viking coin. He really enjoyed doing that and the noise of him striking the coin was very loud.

For the VR portion, we were all seated in this Viking boat and had the goggles and headphones on. The VR experience was both hilarious and terrifying. I might have screamed out loud a few times :) We learned the story of Harald Fairhair, including riding with him into battle (I might have had to cover my mouth when the blood splattered). The kids loved the VR experience and I found it a little too realistic, what with the Vikings around me and the battle.

Except for the VR experience, this was absolutely my favourite day, and hopefully you've gotten a small taste of why. So if you want to come visit us in Norway, let us know :)

To read a little bit about Day 15 (an "at sea day") and a lot about Day 16, go here.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful area? Can definitely see why you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such an amazing day! If I ever did a cruise again, it would be Europe not the tropics!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)