Monday, August 22, 2022

Northern Europe Disney Cruise 2022: A Day In The Life "At Sea"

Today is my first day back to work after my summer break. In some ways I'm not ready for summer to be over yet and in other ways, I'm ready for routine, and all the excitement that this fall will bring. While I'm trying to remember how to do my job (and learning a board-wide new software program -- ugh), I'm also thinking back to our first "at sea" day. You may have seen this on my Instagram stories at the time, but I documented how we/I spent a whole day at sea.

I've already mentioned that the kids spent a lot of time in the club. Well, this night they were playing mini golf in the atrium starting at midnight. Because the next day was an "at sea" day, we told the kids they could stay up for this. So yes, they came back to the stateroom at 1am, where Dave and I were already in our pajamas and half asleep. It was seriously a preview of when they are teenagers!

We slept in the next morning and ate breakfast around 9:30. Rachel ate chocolate croissants for breakfast every single morning and I went for more of a vegetarian, full English breakfast. I loved having fried mushrooms every morning!

After breakfast, Dave, Rachel, and I participated in some Frozen trivia. We were never very good at the trivia. Somebody got 25/25 on this one. We got about 17 :)

 

I loved looking out the portholes and seeing the waves. It was a grey, rainy day this day so it was nice to appreciate the view from inside.

Dave and I went to the adult coffee place and ordered specialty coffees. They came with the best foam art!

Eventually, we grabbed some lunch, which we ate with the kids, and I added some fruit to try and get some healthy nutrition in my eating! I can't remember what else I had for lunch but I know it was delicious!!!

Then Dave and I spent some time in the adult only hot tub and pool. I would jump into the pool to cool off in between hot tub visits. Since it was so grey and rainy, it was perfect hot tubbing weather!!! Also, there were only about 1,100 (out of 2,700 possible) guests on the ship so it felt very empty most of the time. Plus, we kept running into the same people so we got good conversations going.

 

Rachel and a friend also spent some time swimming although you can see the weather kept most people away!

 

I love field trips and behind the scenes of any kind so Dave and I took a couple of ship tours this cruise. This one talked about the design of the ship. The mask on the left was created specifically for the ship's Italian restaurant by the ship's Italian builders. I thought that was really cool.

On the right you can see the lights in the atrium. They are meant to mimic the way the sun reflects on water and each carpet on the three levels of the atrium is designed around a feature of the sea. The bottom level has a coral pattern, the middle level has a seaweed pattern, and the top level has a wave pattern. It's little details like this which I find absolutely fascinating!

After that tour Dave and I participated in a "general knowledge" trivia game. We came in second which I thought was really good!

 

It was both Formal Night and the Captain's Welcome Reception this evening so Rachel went to the boutique for some Pixie Dust (glitter). She only did that a few times this cruise and I think it's the last time she'll be able to enjoy this perk.

On our way to dinner, Rachel and I walked through the first Captain's Welcome Reception so we each got a drink and had our pictures taken.

 

Sam was excited about his over the top cookies and cream sundae!

 

Then we went to the second Captain's Welcome Reception. I really like these because there is free alcohol! I had three drinks and they were all delicious :) They also have non-alcoholic drinks which is what the kids enjoyed.

 

Rachel did consent to posing with Mickey Mouse. I like seeing the characters in their different outfits throughout the cruise. This was Mickey's formal attire. 

I think there was a musical this night so Dave and I splurged on popcorn for the kids. Sam isn't supposed to have popcorn with his braces so this was a special treat for him.

After the show, the kids went to club and Dave and I walked Deck 4. Then I got some tea, took it to our stateroom, and enjoyed some leftover creme brulee from the night before. YUM!

 

This was the funnel at 10:45pm and I was going past it to collect the kids from club. They could have partied until midnight, but we had an early port adventure booked for the next day.

I hope you enjoyed this "day in the life" aboard a ship. I wasn't sure if I would love "at sea" days or not but, as I discovered on our last cruise, they are a lot of fun!

To read about Days 10 - 12, go here.

4 comments:

  1. Wow the ship was empty, that's nice! I love the lifeguard in their poncho, ha! What a great at sea day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pics are just proving once again that no one does it better than Disney- love following along and so glad you all had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is always a lot to do on at sea days! I love that you let the kids stay out so late and that they loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be happy about that sundae too. Love Sam's face in that pic. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)