Thursday, August 04, 2022

In Which We Climbed And Climbed And Climbed Some More

Well if you follow me on Instagram, you will know that we are currently on a Disney Cruise, exploring parts of Europe around the North Sea!!! I'm writing this from our hotel the night before our cruise leaves, but I'm sure we're having a ton of fun!!!

However, before we boarded the cruise, we had some more exploring to do. We left Paris early in the morning and took the EuroStar through the Chunnel to London. Then we caught a train to Dover, as that is where our cruise left from. We caught a really early EuroStar (the 7:43am one) so we had to leave our hostel before 6:00am. It was an early morning.

One last blurry picture of France from the train.

I thought it looked a bit like Saskatchewan!!!

Our train was late leaving Paris, so we had to dash through St Pancras Station in London to make our connection to Dover, but we did it! Then we got a taxi to our hotel. We had to wait for a bit for our room to be ready as we were arrived fairly early in the day. However, we did some internet stuff in the lobby and the kids watched the Commonwealth Games triathlon.

We ate lunch at the restaurant at our hotel, and then we had some down time in our hotel room in the afternoon -- naps and showers. Finally, well refreshed after our early morning, we headed out to explore. Our plan was to get a taxi to a lighthouse and then walk back to Dover along the cliffs.

We had the best views across the English Channel to France.

We learned the hard way that it wasn't always easier to take the shortest up and down route, rather than the longer way around, but we really had a great time doing this walk. It took us just under two hours and it was just gorgeous.
 
We made our way through Dover to Cullins Yard, a restaurant someone on the train to Dover had recommended to us. It was delicious, we randomly met other people heading out on our cruise, and we enjoyed watching out for the seagulls. They stole food from two of the tables around us, but all our food was safe!
And I had my first Pimms, a gin-based, fruity alcohol which is very British. It was delicious!


After supper, we walked down to the water so the kids could throw rocks at, and stick their hands in, The English Channel. And yes, I might have stuck my hand in too :)
Then we walked back up to the train station so we could catch a taxi back to our hotel. It was a long day but we enjoyed it so much!!!
 
I can't post any blog posts while on our cruise so I'll see if we have good internet access, and time, at our last stop in Europe which we'll get to next week. Otherwise, I'll see you all when we get home. Thanks so much for reading and remember, you can always check me out on Instagram (I'm @tashajk72) if you want more timely posts.

To read about Days 6 & 7, go here.

6 comments:

  1. I would love to see Dover!! So fun, amazing memories you're making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely following along on your trip so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cliffs of Dover are so pretty! Never seen in real life but might have to add to my bucket list

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat to say you touched the English Channel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool experience. Really enjoying all your travel posts lately.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)