Tuesday, August 10, 2021

The Rest Of My July Reading

So this is my third "What I Read In July" post because I also did a personal #24in48 readathon midway through July. Thus, this post covers what I read from July 19 until the end of the month.

Connections in Death (In Death, #48) Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)

Golden in Death (In Death, #50) Shadows in Death (In Death, #51)

My In Death reread continued. I really like rereading these books to remind me of details I had forgotten about. There were some fun surprises in these ones :)

Internment

This was my Blog Friends' Book Club book and I liked it, but I didn't LOVE it. I thought the main character (who is 17) was whiny and too focused on trying to see her boyfriend. However, this is set in the near future and I think it is a good warning of what happens when society gets complacent. While it is set in the US, there has been a definite rise in (and awareness of) hate crimes towards Muslims in Canada and this book is a challenge to me to not just sit back and think "They're isolated incidents. This will pass."

Ten Beach Road (Ten Beach Road, #1)

This was just a fun summer, read by the pool, book. It is the first in a series of a group of women who meet over renovating a house and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to them in the next books. Again, not too deep, just perfect for reading by the pool :)

The Nature of Fragile Things

I really enjoyed this book which takes place in and around the time of the San Francisco earthquake. However, I was left feeling a little mixed about the main character. Have you read this book? If so, we need to discuss! I can't figure out if the main character is guilty of a crime or a victim of (un)fortunate circumstances.

More Than Words 

I read this book on the flight to Saskatchewan -- yay for having older kids who mostly entertain themselves :) It was a quick read and, unlike Santopolo's book, The Light We Lost, I didn't cry through it. I don't know if I agree with the main love story (it felt a little quick and a little too easy) but I did enjoy this story of family secrets coming to light. And, since it took place in New York City (mostly), that made it even better for me!

Have you read any of these? Have I inspired you to read any of these? How do you feel about ambiguous main characters or too-quick romances? Let me know below.

5 comments:

  1. I did read The Nature of Fragile Things but I don't remember the answer to your question! I read More Than Words too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do NOT like ambiguity in books - when it ends, I need to know what has happened. I love rereading books and reading your favorite parts again and rediscovering things you forgot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing- I cracked up at your description of the main character in Ten Beach Road- too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the In Death series and I did read the Nature of Fragile Things... I thought she was more the victim of unfortunate circumstances. 10 Beach Road sounds fun too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)