Monday, January 06, 2020

January Goals

I wasn't going to do monthly goals this year, because as you will see from previous years, I always give up on them about halfway through the year. (You can see all my goals posts by clicking on my "Resolved" label.) However, my friend Bekah started out her year with a list of monthly goals and I couldn't help myself. Before I knew it, I had a few goals set out for January. Yikes.

Since we're headed out on vacation with my parents for a week and a half this month (YAY! YAY! YAY!!!), I decided to keep my January goals short and simple :)

1) Finish reading Harry Potter to Rachel.

We've been reading Book 2 since this past spring, I think, and it's time to get it finished.

2) Alternate reading library books with my TBR pile of non-library books.

I wrote about this in my "how I read this year" post which you can read here if you missed. I mentioned that the pile in the back is my pile of books I own, or which friends have lent me, or which I've picked up from little libraries. I'm realizing it's getting out of control so I need to make those books a priority too, even if they don't have due dates :)

Thus far in 2020, I've read three books on my Kobo (e-reader) and no other books so this goal is going well. Or not.

3) Get outside for 30 minutes a day.

I find it so hard to get outside in January. Blah. So I've made a concrete goal to get outside for 30 minutes a day. So far, of the five days in January, I've only not met this goal once so I have some hope. Plus for quite a few of our days, we'll be in a much warmer part of the world so getting outside should be easier :)
Our normal January weather isn't really all that pleasant.

4) Pick December pictures for next year's calendar.

Every year I make two calendars through Shutterfly -- one for us and one for my parents. Every year I spend a few stressful hours going through all the photos from our year trying to pick calendar pictures. This would be much easier if I just spent a bit of time every month doing this instead of doing it all in one chunk, right? Maybe this will be the year I learn that lesson :)

5) Drink more water. And thus, less caffeine.

This is really my version of "get healthier." But seriously, I've been drinking way too much caffeine these past few months and not enough water. I have a goal of 2250ml (which is about nine cups) of water a day. It's really not that much. I'm also trying to cut down on my caffeine intake. Wahhh :(

And I may throw this goal out the window on our vacation -- I'll try to keep up the water intake but I may be less strict about the caffeine intake :)
So those are my goals for January. They're short and sweet and we'll see how I do.

Do you have any January goals? I'd love to hear them. Please, inspire me for February!

7 comments:

  1. I gotta get on the water goal myself.... I say, as I drink my 2nd cup of coffee today.
    I love the goal of getting outside 30 minutes a day. Fresh air is truly medicine to me.
    Is that the illustrated Harry Potter book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the water goal. I ordered an orange juice with my breakfast this morning instead of sweet tea, so I was pretty proud of myself. :)
    I'm currently trying to renovate the world's smallest bathroom (mine), so I guess that is my January goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a good point and idea about working on the photo calendar throughout the year! I dread those hours in December spent digging through all the pictures and trying to come up with something decent (along with adding in all the birthdays, etc.)- I should make that my goal too! Where are you headed on vacation!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know going outside is always a struggle for me. My goal with the kids is 2 hours/day (school days gets half b/c they get 1 hour at school yay)-sometimes that feels really overwhelming so I just think 'let's get outside for 15 minutes, we can do that' and usually that turns into more. So I think your goal for 30 minutes is great because like you said it usually becomes more! I'm adding reading from my physical book pile to my goals for the year - it's getting bad, good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love #4! That is such a great idea! I do a similar thing with our Christmas card letter. I try to work ahead so the bulk is done by the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! I really want to spend more time outside as well. It works wonders for my mental health!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Aaron is getting Book 2 for his birthday (in March) and I'm hoping it won't take us 9 months to finish it! Eeek. 2. Love your January get-outside goal. I've been working very hard to give Aaron an hour outside after school on Tues & Thurs (our only days with no after-school activities) and I think it's helping a lot! Also I'm really jealous of your snow. We've had nothing but rain and the kids are ITCHING for snow. 3. I also do a Shutterfly photobook and I make it as the year goes by. I try to do a month at a time and it works soooo well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)