Wednesday, April 24, 2019

What's Up Wednesday: April 2019

It's What's Up Wednesday time again. In some ways, this month has been really slow and in other ways, I can't believe I'm writing another one of these posts already!
image from here

What we're eating this week... As many of you know, my husband Dave is Jewish and I am Christian. This week we've been eating all the holiday foods as Passover and Easter overlapped this past weekend. We had a quiet family seder on Friday night and Dave's parents are joining us for a seder tonight. On Sunday, we celebrated Easter with good friends. So yes, we've been eating all the holiday foods.
I love matzoh ball soup!!!

What I'm reminiscing about... Next month is the main performance for our dance studio so I'm reminiscing about Rachel's first two performances. This year the show is The Wizard of Oz.
Left: Rachel as a sparkly gem in Aladdin (2017); 
Right: Rachel as a lollipop in Mary Poppins (2018)

What I'm loving... Monday might have been one of my favourite days ever this spring. I will have to write a blog post about it because all the stars aligned and it was the perfect day. I got pansies planted and four loads of laundry hung outside, Sam played with friends for almost ten hours straight, and Rachel learned to ride her bike. Plus, I got to read outside for almost an hour and we had pizza for supper. Did I mention "the perfect day"?
  
What we've been up to... Well Sam was diagnosed with fifths disease last week and earned himself a week off school. So I was trying to work while Sam enjoyed an eleven day school break. (PD Days and Easter holidays contributed to all of his time off). And unfortunately, my work has been crazy these past couple of weeks. Then of course we've been celebrating Passover and Easter so it's been busy times around here.

What I'm dreading... I don't know that I'm dreading much of anything right now. There's a lot of good stuff happening these days. There is a Saturday coming up when between Religious School, dance, and baseball, I will be spending about three or four hours ferrying people all around the city so I am kind of dreading that. Yuck. Thankfully it's only one day because I hate that kind of driving.

What I'm working on... With work being crazy, and Sam at home, I haven't been blogging as regularly as I've wanted to. And don't even ask me about my blog reading. So I'm hoping to catch up on some of that eventually, as other things slow down. I have so many things I want to blog about.

Sorry this post is so boring and lacks pictures.
I was looking for a random picture to insert here to make it more interesting,
and I couldn't find one. Boo.

What I'm excited about... My birthday is next week. And then Mother's Day is the following week. I'm looking forward to seeing a musical in Toronto with Dave and Sam is already planning on making me scones for Mother's Day. It's going to be a good couple of weeks :)

What I'm watching/reading... We've been watching a lot of baseball around here. That's what happens when Sam is stuck at home. I've been reading a bunch of non-fiction right now. I want to write a book review of Cork Dork: A wine-fueled adventure among the obsessive sommeliers, big bottle hunters, and rogue scientists who taught me to live for taste by Bianca Bosker because I enjoyed it so much. I'm trying to finish Five Days at Memorial: Life and death in a storm-ravaged hospital by Sheri Fink which is about a hospital stranded without electricity during Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. It's been a really hard read.

Cork Dork: A Wine-Fueled Adventure Among the Obsessive Sommeliers, Big Bottle Hunters, and Rogue Scientists Who Taught Me to Live for Taste Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital
Cork Dork image from here -- Five Days... image from here

What I'm listening to... Since I'm writing this on Tuesday night, I'm listening to the kids' piano lesson right now :) They only have one more lesson left this year. And earlier today, I was listening to the chaos of the dance studio as classes ended today.

What I'm wearing... We went to a Blue Jays game for Sam's birthday and it was a giveaway day. I'm loving my new Blue Jays bunny hug (A "hoodie," if you're not from Saskatchewan!). It's so comfy. What's hilarious is they were one size only and Rachel wears hers like a dress! If you stop by our house, it's very likely that at least one (or more) of us is wearing our new sweatshirt :)

What I'm doing this weekend... Unfortunately, Sam's illness hit the day of his school friends' birthday party so we had to postpone it. We will hold it this weekend and then our six weeks of celebrating Sam's tenth birthday will finally be over. Phew. Then we can move on to celebrating mine. Ha!

What I'm looking forward to next month... My birthday and the kids' dance recital. Rachel is a rainbow (for ballet) and then both kids are winged monkeys (for modern). Yes, Sam took modern this year with Rachel as hanging out waiting for her for a full hour and a half every week got a bit long :)

What else is new... I think that's it for now. We still have two months left of school and winter activities have mostly wound down (aside from the dance performance and Religious and Sunday school).  Spring activities will be starting in a couple of weeks so I'm looking forward to evenings at the soccer fields and baseball diamonds.

1 comment:

  1. 1. I LOVE matzo ball soup. I haven't had it in years so definitely need to make that again.
    2. I never knew fifth disease existed! I googled it and learned a lot!
    3. Both those books look fascinating! I'm adding them to my list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)