Wednesday, May 30, 2018

What's Up Wednesday: May 2018

It's What's Up Wednesday time again and here's what has been going on around here lately.

 
image from here

What we're eating this week... At my book club in April, one of the other members suggested a new cookbook to me. It's called Fuss-Free Vegan and we've discovered some great recipes in it. Dave and I love it and the kids are tolerating it and it's just been so nice to have an infusion of new ideas. And no, we're not vegan and I just use regular milk or Ranch dressing or cheese if it calls for the vegan kind.
image of cookbook from here

What I'm reminiscing about... I've been thinking a lot about our Kenya trip last summer. At this time last year we were in the midst of getting ready to go and looking forward to visiting our friends and experiencing new things. If you want to read all about our trip, you can check out my posts here.
 
What I'm loving... Rachel is really excited about learning to bike and, after I saw my friend and his daughter on the trailer bike, I hooked up ours. The nice thing about this is that kids don't need to be able to balance to ride it. Rachel wants to go for a ride whenever she can. Last week we even biked 13km/8 miles to Sam's ball game and back.

What we've been up to... I've been fighting a cold for over two weeks now so I've been laying low. And trying to participate in life when I can. So we're just trying to stay on top of things over here while I try (only semi-successfully) to get ten hours of sleep a night. Blah.

What I'm dreading... All the car repairs/maintenance we need to do over the next six months. There are a few little things wrong and one big thing and, unfortunately, it means that a lot of our bills over the next few months will be car related, which isn't nearly as exciting as baseball or travel or...

What I'm working on... In between sleeping and trying to recuperate from my cold, we've been spending A LOT of time in our yard. Last summer, Dave had sciatica so the yard felt very overwhelming and neglected for much of the summer. It's been such a change this spring to have two (and sometimes four!) able bodied people to work on things. You can see yesterday's post for more yard before and after pictures than you can imagine here!

What I'm excited about... I'm excited that food truck season is back. We have a food truck gathering just down the block from us every Thursday and it's awesome. There's also one at a church near us on Wednesdays so we could basically eat from food trucks twice a week. We don't but...
I'm still dreaming about the cold asparagus-tomato salad 
I got from one of these trucks last week. Yum!!!!!

What I'm watching/reading... I have a whole stack of library books I'm working my way through. And I'm watching all my flowers grow :)
The pile on the left are my library books which is what I mostly read from. The pile on the right are books I've gotten from elsewhere (and they have no due dates) which I should start reading. Ha!

What I'm listening to... The Blue Jays playing baseball on the radio. It was so fun this past weekend to listen to them outside while I was planting flowers. And then on Sunday we listened to them while we got some inside tasks completed.

What I'm wearing... We seem to have skipped over jeans and t-shirt weather this year so I'm wearing all the shorts and tank tops. And I'm enjoying my summer skirts. Skirts just make me happy :)
 
Here are all my short skirts.
This also explains why I only have four pairs of shorts!

What I'm doing this weekend... Our pool opens this weekend so hopefully I'll get to spend some time swimming and reading. I'm excited to see how much Sam and Rachel remember from their swimming lessons last year.

What I'm looking forward to next month... I'll write more about this in June's What's Up Wednesday but Dave and I will be celebrating 10 years of marriage on June 29! Yay! The kids finish school on June 28. And Rachel turns 7 on the 17th. Next month is going to be busy :)

What else is new... I think that's everything. It's been a bit of the same old, same old around here but honestly, I really like that once in awhile.

2 comments:

  1. The warmer weather finally arrived and then you got sick?? Ugh! Hope you feel better soon. :)

    I'm stuck with most of the yard work by myself, but I sort of like it...most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your stack of books!! The Wife Between Us is so good!
    Thanks for linking up with us! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)