Tuesday, December 03, 2013

On The Next Few Nights Of Chanukah

On the third night of Chanukah we hosted our church small group for a Chanukah party. Rachel was hungry so she snacked on the traditional Chanukah pickle* while we waited for the others to arrive. Dave also made the traditional Chanukah latkes**. Rachel wore a Chanukah shirt one of our dear Edmonton friends bought for Sam when he was Rachel's age. You can see him sporting it here.
This is the second year we've celebrated a night of Chanukah with our small group and we love this annual tradition. We ate chili, latkes and the Canadian version of sufganiyot, Tim Horton's filled doughnuts! We also had the traditional reading of Lemony Snicket's, The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming:a christmas story and played driedel.
 
On the fourth night of Chankukah we had a party with friends of Dave's family. Dave made latkes (for almost two hours straight!), and we ate some good food. We had three different menorahs to light that night.
 
We also introduced this group to The Latke Who Couldn't Stop Screaming:a christmas story and we celebrated Havdallah, which is the ceremony which bids farewell to Shabbat. Sam played his ukelele for Havdallah and it was very cute!

*There is no traditional Chanukah pickle.
**There are traditional Chanukah latkes.

Edited to add: I write about church, synagogue, Chanukah and Christmas like everyone who reads my blog knows our story. I had a new reader ask me some questions about what kind of Christian-Judaism I practiced so I responded to her in the comment section here. If you are another person wondering how I ended up here, feel free to go and read my response. Questions are always welcome and I will do my best to answer them.

3 comments:

  1. Love Rachel's pigtails!! Also I've only had latkes like...once or twice maybe...but they are delicious and I dream about them sometimes. I need to find a latke source down here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great time celebrating! I love how you get to spend Chanukah with so many people. Are you just loving that you can invite people over to your new home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have been following this journey for a while, and I still find I have questions. Hehe! Mostly, I just want to participate and sample all the yummy treats with you. I haven't ever had latkes, and I definitely think I need to come and try some Tim Horton's filled doughnuts (can they possibly beat my beloved Krispy Kreme ones? Ha! They just might! Why kind of jelly are they filled with? My fav are raspberry jelly filled.) I also have never played driedel so I think I need to get on that train too although I must admit I have always been super competitive and a "sore loser" when playing family games. It used to tickle my granny when we'd all play card games to see me get mad. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)