Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Very Special Time-Warp


Did you know last night was Christmas Eve? In Saskatchewan? At my mom and dad's house? Well, it was. Back in October we received a wedding invitation from my cousin for this coming Saturday. After looking into flights at Christmastime and looking into flights around the time of the wedding, we discovered that we could save $1000 by coming now. And Mom and Dad said they would celebrate Christmas whenever we were around, so here we are.

We flew in late Monday night/Tuesday morning (arrived at 1am), and by the way, Rachel did not sleep the entire four hour flight like we had planned. Awesome. Also, I did not miraculously heal in time for our trip, although I was a lot better on Monday. Dave was fine as of Monday morning. I spent most of yesterday sitting around, wishing I could eat all the amazing food, and drinking hot tea with lemon and honey.

So yesterday, while Rachel napped, Sam and Oma decorated the tree and I documented the process in photos. Of course :)


Sam spent a lot of time playing iPad with Opa or listening to him tell stories.
 
Everyone, except me, helped prepare the traditional Christmas Eve feast of scrumptious appetizers -- stuffed mushrooms, spanakopita, duxelles and various meats and cheeses. Normally I would be all over this food but my stomach just wasn't up to it. I ate one measly spanakopita and declared defeat. Oh and a few pieces of the special wine cheese my dad buys just for me at Christmastime.
 
 
After everyone had their fill, Oma called Sam and Rachel to be her elves as underneath the tree was suspiciously empty of presents. While they were bringing out the present below, Rachel, probably accidentally, started unwrapping it. We all yelled a panicked "NO!" in unison and completely freaked her out. Poor kid. We figure she'll be hesitant to open any presents this morning :(
And then, Oma lit the candles surrounding the Nativity Set, Opa told the Christmas Story (as only Opa can!), and then he read "How The Grinch Stole Christmas." And then the elves headed off to bed. And, at that point, I probably should have too, but I didn't as I was drawn in by good conversation, the warm fire, and a general lack of inertia :)

7 comments:

  1. I love the picture of Sam decorating the tree by the window (pretty snow in the background!) and of him resting on your dad's chest - so sweet! Hope y'all enjoy your trip and your early Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnnn!! Early Christmas!! I'm sorry you are still sick, though. I would definitely eat your share of the yummy food if I were there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures and do NOT love that you weren't feeling well!! You gotta get well!!! :) I love an extended Christmas, so this is a beautiful post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully the rest of my time was accented by me being completely healthy! Yay! And yes, I highly recommend an extended Christmas. It was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  4. Feel better and enjoy your time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did and I did so it was awesome :)

      Delete
  5. The tree turned out so pretty!!! I love the picture of Sam snuggling his grandpa. Too sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)