Friday, July 03, 2020

What's Been Going On Combined With Life Lately

Oh, I've been missing the blog world lately. I only wrote five posts in June which is the lowest number of posts I've written in a month since I returned to more regular blogging in December 2018. June was a hard month for me (in a "first world, I'm very privileged" definition of "hard").

First, and foremost, I struggled with serious headaches every day. I needed a nap, a Coke, and a Tylenol to get through most days in June. It didn't matter how much water I drank, how much sleep I got, what the weather was like -- it was not great :( Even if I woke up feeling fine, I'd be on the couch napping within a couple of hours. Between my headaches and Dave's work being really busy, the kids basically raised themselves in June.

I did take an intentional blogging break at the beginning of June as the effects of racism, especially systemic racism, were more in the news and on my social media feeds. I saw a post that referred to the many different lanes people can be in when it comes to anti-racism work. My lane right now is to read all the books (you all just fell down in shock, I know!), to diversify my Instagram feed (and highlight a lot of POC voices in my stories), and to support a friend in a cool project (which I'll write more about next week).

Oh, and to have more intentional conversations with Sam and Rachel about racism and diversifying what they read. I have gotten some amazing books out of the library (I cannot emphasize how excited I am about curbside pick up at our library!!!) and I am intentionally watching more videos with them -- usually ones I find on Instagram. We did take the kids to the Black Lives Matter march in our city and it was so powerful for all of us.

I know I've posted this picture before but I honestly can say enough how thrilled we are to be able to get new library books again!!!

Dave's team at work finished a year long project which ended with a week and a half of intense meetings at the beginning of June. It went well but, between that and my headaches, it felt like the first third of June went by so quickly.

Thankfully in June many of our restrictions were lifted -- I've had a massage (with another one scheduled), we've all gotten haircuts, and our pool has opened. These are some HUGE things which have really helped alleviate a lot of my stress lately. And later today I have a long overdue optometrist appointment which I'm really excited about.

I also spent a few days at work, helping close out student records for the end of the school year. We all wore masks and hand sanitized, and I only ended up helping for about nine hours overall, but it felt so good to do something outside the house again :) I miss working.

Heading back to work. Whooo hooo!!!

In blogging news, I missed doing a 10 on the 10th post for the first time since February. June 10th just passed by in a big blur. And sadly, we haven't been keeping up with The KC Post. I am still hoping to do one last special summer edition but I have some thoughts about that and it may not happen until August. The KC Post was such a good way to have all of us write about our quarantine experiences.

So that's a bit of the "what's been going on/why Natasha disappeared from blog world for a month." Here are some pictures of what we've been up to lately.

We made it to the last day of school. It felt so surreal this year. Below are the kids doing the last little bit of their online learning.
We always kick off the first day of summer vacation with a breakfast of strawberries and ice cream. Now usually the first day of summer vacation is a Friday but this year, the last PD Day (teacher professional development day) was cancelled so the last day was on Friday. We had church small group on Saturday morning. And then I realized we had no strawberries. Thankfully the bakery around the corner has a Saturday farmer's market so Rachel and I were able to pick up some strawberries there. It was all a bit rushed, and a little different, but doesn't that just define this year?
Our pool opened for the summer at the end of June. We have to sign up to swim in a section of the pool and can only sign up twice a week (once on the weekends) so it looks pretty different. Sadly, due to a variety of circumstances, I haven't actually been swimming yet but that will change tonight! Whoo hoo!!!
Dave and I celebrated our twelfth anniversary on Monday. In our province we are allowed to "social bubble" with up to ten people. We can hug them, go in their houses, etc, so it's very exciting. We are bubbling with Dave's parents so the kids spent the day with them. Dave and I usually gift each other "experiences" rather than physical presents, and let me tell you, after four months straight with the kids, having nine hours all to ourselves was the best experience ever this year! We went for a few walks, did take out for lunch and supper, and just enjoyed uninterrupted adult conversation again. Yay!!!
One thing I'm super excited about is that the kids will spend two days a week with Dave's parents this summer so I'll have time to blog, go to appointments, and get some other things done. The kids will get a chance to reconnect with their grandparents after not really seeing them for three and a half months and it will be sooooo good!!!
After not blooming for a couple of years, the rosebush in our backyard is putting on a show this year. It is just amazing!

And as of Tuesday, day lily season has started. I love day lilies and am so happy they bloom for most of July.
Also, as of Tuesday, we all have fresh haircuts. The kids don't want me to post an "after" picture online until a few more people have seen them in person, but let's just say, between quarantine hair and the hot summer weather we are experiencing right now, we might have gone a little crazy :)

And that's just a little bit of what's been going on with us lately.

4 comments:

  1. June was a super hard month. I love that you can bubble with your in laws and they can watch the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see a post from you again! :) Totally understand the break and I'm so very sorry June was so tough all across the board!! Sending (safe) hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good catch up! Interesting that there is a limit on pool sign-ups. What if other people don't swim at all and there's room? We can sign-up as much as we want, they just cap the # who can be there. We've never had a problem getting a slot. Grandparents are wonderful - some assortment of our kids are seeing Brent's parents today, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much in this post! First of all, I’m so sorry about your debilitating headaches; that sounds so miserable. Do you and your doctors have an action plan or are they still trying to diagnose the cause? Secondly, I just LOVE the ice cream & strawberries tradition. You are such a fun mom and I’m glad my kids don’t read your blog or they’d be super jealous. Third(ly?), I really love this social bubble concept. It’s super smart for both Public health and for personal well being. Lastly, I am so jealous of your nine hours alone; that sounds like a lovely anniversary. My parents are starting to take the older kids one day a week but I still have Carson so it’s not total freedom. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)