Thursday, October 27, 2022

Monthly Musings: Thanksgiving Prep (Or Recap!)

It's time for Monthly Musings with Holly at Pink Lady and Patty at Good, Better, Best. We're talking Thanksgiving today and, since we celebrated Thanksgiving in October (I'm Canadian, eh?), this is a bit of a recap as well.

1) Do you host Thanksgiving or go elsewhere?

We've done a combination of things around here. We've celebrated with friends and we've had quiet dinners at home. This year was a quiet dinner at home and that was fine with me.

2) What dishes do you make or contribute?

When we've celebrated with friends, I've often made pies or brought drinks. This year Dave and I made the whole meal. Our "go to" Thanksgiving meal for the past few years has been Hasselback potatoes, Opa's shrimp (my dad's special sauteed shrimp recipe), and roasted veggies from our CSA.

Our meal wasn't very good this year. I got the wrong kind of shrimp, I put too much oil on the roasted veggies, and the potatoes weren't quite baked all the way through. It was just "meh."

3) What is your favourite Thanksgiving recipe and will you share it with us?

I don't know that I have a favourite Thanksgiving recipe. I get all my recipes from my parents and they usually begin: "Start with a lot of butter. And then add some more." I mean, isn't that always a recipe for deliciousness?!?!?!

4) What are your Thanksgiving traditions?

 In writing this post, I'm realizing our Thanksgiving can be pretty low-key/boring. We don't always go to the Oktoberfest parade on Thanksgiving morning. We don't always celebrate with other people. It kind of depends on the year.

This year we had a quieter weekend. We went to the final Blue Jays playoff game on Saturday...

... Rachel worship led and contributed to the sermon at church...

... the kids and I watched two Fall Hallmark movies while Dave grocery shopped, and then we went for a walk on Thanksgiving Day because it was so beautiful.

I would say that in the past couple of years, we've tried to get out for a walk if the weather is good, but we've also enjoyed some cozy Hallmark movie watching time. Our Thanksgiving is all about Fall over here.

5) Stuffing or dressing?

I think I call it "stuffing." Either way, it's delicious and even though I'm vegetarian, I still eat it!!!

6) Pumpkin, pecan, or apple pie?

Saskatoon berry is my absolute favourite pie! But since that's not an option, I'll go with apple.

In 2013, I made an apple and a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving with our best friends.
I'm still very proud of these pies!

7) Casual dining or set the table?

We always set the table with a tablecloth and napkins. And flowers for a centrepiece. Even this year when everything else was low key, we still had a nicely set table. I like pulling out my Fiestaware for Thanksgiving.

8) Favourite beverages to serve with Thanksgiving dinner?

Apple cider! We love drinking apple cider in the fall.

9) Do you shop Black Friday?

NNNNOOOO!!!

Here's a letter I wrote to Black Friday a few years ago and I still stand by it:

Dear Black Friday in Canada... I really don't like you. You showed up suddenly about five years ago and now it feels like we can't get rid of you. We celebrate Thanksgiving in October so you really don't make any sense. We used to have our Boxing Day sales (because it's a stat holiday here, and you know, we're Canadian) and now you've overshadowed those. Go back to where you came from please.

10) Holiday movie or football games?

Well, I guess Fall Hallmark movie, but really, I think "a walk in the woods" would be my preferred way to spend the day!

I'm off to read the other posts in this link up. I enjoy seeing how other people spend holidays and I know Thanksgiving is a HUGE deal in The States. I think it's just not as big of a deal here in Canada and, since I'm used to it, I'm okay with that.

11 comments:

  1. That berry pie sounds amazing! Thank you for sharing your traditions with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's nice enough here I love a Thanksgiving day walk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your parent's recipes contain a lot of butter; I'm also a huge butter fan. We are supposedly going to have a butter shortage in the states around the holidays so I may have to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Berry pie does sound good! I am with you on not shopping on Black Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know you were vegetarian. And yes to butter and more butter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a big deal here, I usually hear that people are getting together with family for dinners and in university it was the first weekend to go home in the school year. It's just that Americans celebrate everything to excess so their enthusiasm overshadows us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does seem like all the really good recipes call for lots and lots of butter!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So grateful that our Canadian friends join us! And yes, every Good recipe starts with butter and then you add more butter.

    Patty
    GoodBetterBestFood.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved reading this and being inspired by it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Remind me - y'all celebrate on a Monday, right? Do y'all just get the 1 day off of work/school?

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL on your black Friday email. I don't understand why they didn't stick with boxing day. Stupid American influence.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)