Tuesday, August 04, 2020

One Sentence A Day: July 2020

Welcome to "One Sentence A Day" for July, a monthly link up with Rebecca Jo and other bloggers.

1 - Wednesday - It was our Canadian national holiday this day but we didn't celebrate. More sentences: Normally, we would have gone to the city's fireworks but, due to Covid, they didn't happen this year. Also, our air conditioner broke in the middle of an extreme heat wave :(

2 - Thursday - It was a day of quite a few walks to do various errands -- getting Dave's office chair from his work (finally!), returning library books, and buying coffee.

3 - Friday - The kids spent the day with Dave's parents, I had a long overdue optometrist appointment, and we had a really fun last minute session at our pool. (Explanation: We are members at a private pool and normally spend four to five hours a day there most weekdays during the summer. They are open this year but we are only allowed to book two, one hour sessions a week. We can also "pick up" any sessions which are available for the next day after 9pm the night before. This was a "pick up" session.)

4 - Saturday - We spent a lot of time deep cleaning and organizing the basement and then met up with Dave's parents at the pool for a swim.

5 - Sunday - It was a "blah" sort of day but we went for a walk in the evening and had two spontaneous, really good, socially distanced visits with friends we hadn't seen in a long time.

6 - Monday - It was the first day of virtual VBS for the kids and it went really well.

7 - Tuesday - I did AquaFit at the pool this morning and then we went swimming again, just after noon, as I'd managed to pick up an open slot the night before.

8 - Wednesday - Our air conditioner and our car got fixed/had maintenance done and both came with hefty bills. (Second sentence: Ugh.)

9 - Thursday - I cannot believe how much Sam's swimming has improved these last few weeks and we got to have a socially distant (very quick chat) with Janice, Tessa, and Willem which was awesome!!!

10 - Friday - We had our first rain in weeks today!

11 - Saturday - We went for an impromptu walk and I had flowers in my salad tonight.

12 - Sunday - Our family led worship at church (for our virtual service), and then we went swimming, streamed an old baseball game, and had takeout pizza for supper.

Wearing masks to worship lead at church. We were asked to wear them if we weren't in front of the camera.

13 - Monday - Our church's VBS started with a Zoom meeting and then physically distanced activities at the church and it was sooooo good to see some of our church family in person for the first time in four months.

14 - Tuesday - I did early morning AquaFit at the pool and, after VBS, Rachel and I had an afternoon nap together.

15 - Wednesday - I documented this entire (insanely full) day for a Day In The Life post which you can read here. (Second sentence: A highlight was a Zoom happy hour with blog friends.)

16 - Thursday - VBS, swimming, house tidying -- there was a lot going on this day.

17 - Friday - It was the last day of VBS, we cleaned the playroom for the first time in forever, and we discovered that Sam's feet are almost as big as mine!

18 - Saturday - We had a physically distant in-person care group and it was amazing to see people again!
The family hosting small group built a rock climbing wall during quarantine and Rachel enjoyed trying it out.

19 - Sunday - We made a bit of progress on putting together our new BBQ and we picked up some more masks from a friend.

20 - Monday - I enjoyed a very good physically distant visit with my best friend, Janice, and I ordered some bulbs for next spring.

21 - Tuesday - We enjoyed a very fun afternoon of visiting with some friends (in their backyard pool) and I discovered that I shouldn't go to the library if I want my kids to do anything productive for the rest of the day!

22 - Wednesday - We woke up to the news that our water heater had broken overnight and there was a small puddle of water in our basement :( (Second sentence: It got replaced that morning and was a fairly minor inconvenience overall.)

23 - Thursday - The kids have been having daily swimming lessons this week and I laughed so hard during them today that I cried! (Second sentence: The kids have been doing really well but it's hard to swim in a straight line on your back!)

24 - Friday - I ran about a million errands today and took care of a lot of bureaucratic annoying things -- renewing my driver's license, renewing my health card, getting new license plates for our car, getting gas, and doing a Costco run. (Second sentence: It was the first Blue Jays game of the season today!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

25 - Saturday - I was doing a readathon all day today so I read all the books.

26 - Sunday - I kept going on my readathon today and finished reading for 24 out of 48 hours.

27 - Monday - Our best friends gave us a TV (which we're using as a monitor for our computers) and we watched a Blue Jays game to initiate it.

28 - Tuesday - A trip to the library was the highlight of today!

Discovering this bat in our playroom was NOT a highlight of today.

29 - Wednesday - I enjoyed swimming with the kids (and folding ALL the laundry) this day.

30 - Thursday - The biggest airport in Canada felt like a ghost town.

31 - Friday - We LOVED having happy hour and a dance party on the deck with Oma & Opa (my mom and dad)!

9 comments:

  1. So glad you got to see your parents! That book challenge, yet again, is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been the best hanging out with Mom and Dad. It's been soooo good for all of us!

      Delete
  2. What a fun way to document the month! Sorry about the water heater, no fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A BAT... IN THE PLAYROOM... that's crazy!!!!
    A virtual VBS - I hadnt heard that one yet - but love it.
    So you all led worship? That's so cool!!!
    I still love you did your own readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Building a rock wall during quarantine is definitely A+!!! That's so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eek! No bats.. I do not like bats at all. I too tend to pick out waaay to many books for us all when I step foot in the library but I just can't help myself! Loving all the pool time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was holding up a blanket against the doorway so it couldn't fly into the rest of the house and I was sweating and shaking and basically NOT HAPPY.

      Our library piles are basically out of control most of the time -- especially mine!!!

      Delete
  6. A lot of broken stuff this month, that stinks! Yay for lots of friend time and swimming and library books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this description: two spontaneous, really good, socially distanced visits!!!
    Glad you were able to spend time with the grandparents. This virus is isolating so many. Planning to go see my mom in Kentucky which will mean just seeing her through a plexiglass screen but she is miserably lonely.
    Your daughter's hair is adorable. Love the floral headband.
    We had $$ car repairs, too! But not a hot water heater expense. Ugh is right.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)