Wednesday, August 28, 2019

What's Up Wednesday: August 2019

Welcome to the "We're in the last week of summer" What's Up Wednesday. Next week at this time the kids will be waking up for their second day of school. I think we're all ready for some routine again.
image from here

What we're eating this week... I made up a new salad to use up all the beans we've been getting from our CSA (community shared agriculture). I steam the beans, cool them, and then slice them up with avocado and feta cheese. I mix half olive oil, half balsamic vinegar, and some yellow mustard for the dressing. It's delicious!
We've also been eating a ton of tomatoes and fresh peaches from our CSA and the produce stand at our pool. I love it because we pick up our CSA on Tuesday and the produce stand is on Wednesday so I can supplement.
The bowl with the two lonely cherry tomatoes was full when we got home from our CSA pickup yesterday afternoon. Sam and I snacked on them like candy. Ooops :)

What I'm reminiscing about... Two years ago, around this time, we went to New York for a long weekend and we spent one day in New York City. We visited the Botanical Gardens because they had an exhibit of Chihuly glass. If you haven't ever had the chance to check out a Chihuly exhibit, you are missing out. In fact as I was writing this post, I looked to see where his current exhibitions are and I asked Dave, "How far away is Columbus, Ohio???" (Sadly it's too far away for us to make a trip this weekend.) I was fortunate to also see Chihuly's exhibit in Jerusalem when I lived there in 2000. So yeah, that's what I'm reminiscing about :)

What I'm loving... While I'm not quite ready for fall yet, I am loving all the sunflowers. Sadly, our flower farmer is not growing this year so I bought some of these at the grocery store and some of them were a choice option at our CSA.

What we've been up to... This week Rachel is at a camp in the mornings, Sam is hanging out at home, and I am working. But the previous two weeks we were up to all things POOL related.
The kids had tennis lessons...
 
...we ate pool treats...
 
...and we swam.
The pool had a new program first thing in the afternoon this year called "AquaFun." It was supposed to be a mix of water polo, swim team, synchronized swimming, and aquafit throughout the week. However, the kids LOVED swim team and were lukewarm about everything else. So they basically got almost of hour of extra swimming lessons every day. Above, Rachel is practicing the butterfly!

We're headed back to the pool this afternoon and after being there for four - five hours a day for two weeks straight, I've missed it.

What I'm dreading... Ummmm, true confession time. School starts next week and I still haven't sorted through the school papers from last year. Ugh. So that's what I will be doing this weekend. Blah.
Yes, this table has looked like this for two straight months.

What I'm working on... Well I'm still trying to finish up the blog posts from our big summer vacation. I think I have four or five left to write. That's pretty much all I've blogged about since mid-July. To my regular blog readers, I'm sorry. I'm almost done, I promise.

I'm also participating in a social media challenge hosted by an Instagram friend. I'm trying to walk 20 minutes a day for 20 days. I'm finding it harder than it sounds as you can see by my tracking below.
 
What I'm excited about... School and all the fall activities start for us on Tuesday and honestly, I'm excited about getting into a routine again. Summer is super fun and I love not really having routine for a bit, but I'm kind of over it now.

What I'm watching/reading... I've been watching the kids at their swimming and tennis lessons for a few weeks now. Other than that, I haven't been watching much of anything...

As for reading, you should check out my post from yesterday to see what I read last week. You can find it here.
This might have been my favourite book. 

What I'm listening to... For some reason, Rachel has REALLY connected with the song On Top of Spaghetti this past week. She's playing it on the piano A LOT, writing it out on the whiteboard (and illustrating it), and singing it. So that's what I've been listening to.

What I'm wearing... A few weeks ago our library had a celebration for 50 years since Woodstock and one of the activities was making flower crowns. I've actually worn mine a few times because it's pretty fun! In fact, I wore it to worship lead the week after I made it :) It kind of, sort of, fit the theme of the service. Ha!
 

What I'm doing this weekend... I had to miss two readathons because of our vacation so I told Dave I needed a whole day to read. I'm going to read from midnight on Saturday to midnight on Sunday (but I will get a few hours of sleep in there.) Even better, the kids are going to Dave's parents overnight so they'll be out of the house. I can't wait! I won't read all of these books but I need some options!

What I'm looking forward to next month... I'm going to kick off the month by working on our photo book for our summer vacation and getting our yard in shape. It'll be super exciting. I'm also looking forward to a little bit of cooler weather (which will hopefully help facilitate the yard work. Ha!)

What else is new... I think that's about it. I can't really think of anything else right now.

Happy Wednesday and if you found me through the link up, thank you for stopping by.

1 comment:

  1. That bean salad looks delicious (minus the avocado). And once again, I am so jealous of your CSA/Farm Stand (we have neither here). I think vine-picked cherry tomatoes are the greatest snack in the world; I will eat an entire bowl in 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for being interested in my life as I blog it and for leaving a comment. Comments make me happier than reading a good book and drinking a cold Coke. Almost :)